Retractable lanyard setup

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you had zip ties you wouldnt be able to take it off the harness. I dont take mine off but I would imagine folks would want the ability to use different setups.

Here it is

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JD4vzVh8a4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its always cloudy here in Cleveland...

Nice vid. Paul, are they for sale? I looked on your website and didn't see anything about them. That thing really looks neat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice video Nick, thanks. Eric, Sidewinders will be available at the beginning of 2013, still ironing out some details and sourcing components. Would yo be interested in one with a Cinch for SRT capability or just a regular hitch and tender??

Nick, never even occured to me that folks would mount it on the right side as I have always had mine on my left:|: On the left the hole for the cord exits the bottom of the unit so doesnt fill up with sawdust.....

I'm kind of on the fence about this one. One of my big concerns is longevity or durability. I don't know about all the mechanics going on inside, but I'm going to assume it has a spring somewhere in there, or that its similar to a chainsaw pull cord windup action. Climbing production, thinking about how many times a climber will be pulling on the rope or the sidewinder is sucking it back in, I would think you'd end up with quite a few cycles. I'm just curious as to how it would hold up over time.

My other thing is can I myself replace the cordage used for a lanyard. Say I nick it, or something happens to it or I just want to try a different rope, is it possible for me to install it myself? I'd love to put some 11mm rope in there, like Blaze. Even if I had a loop dangling down where it wouldn't all fit, I'd be ok with that. Either Blaze or 10mm Ocean Polyster.

Nice video Nick, thanks. Eric, Sidewinders will be available at the beginning of 2013, still ironing out some details and sourcing components. Would yo be interested in one with a Cinch for SRT capability or just a regular hitch and tender??

Nick, never even occured to me that folks would mount it on the right side as I have always had mine on my left:|: On the left the hole for the cord exits the bottom of the unit so doesnt fill up with sawdust.....

I switched my lanyard rope a while back and my new line wouldn't work with the Grigri that I had been using. I started using hitch cord again and now I really miss the mechanical adjuster. I think I would get one with the Cinch. I will wait patiently. Again, nice work.

Btw, sweet video Nick. I just skimmed through when I made that last comment, so I didn't catch the video. Nice work on it man, I like the VoiceOver technique.

Paul that is wicked! A few guys on Arbtalk have tried this idea and a few of them on similar retractable spools but nobody got it to fruition. People argued that they were too cumbersome or looked silly.
My opinion is "which is the lesser of two evils?" I'd prefer to have an RSW on my harness than having my lanyard wrapping around my legs, saw, branches etc. We all know of that moment when you swing back in to the tree and feel the jerk as the lanyard stopper knot jams in a tight fork!

My big question is this: What happens when dirt gets into the spring mechanism. We all know what happens when a small amount of fine grit gets into a tape measure. Next time you pull it out, it'll never retract again.
Is it susceptible to this and if so, how easy is it to clean out?

OMTC - It certainly isn't as fine a mechanism as a tape measure. I am not sure this is a big concern as there is much more space for grit to fall around and less 'confined space' for grit and sand to work into and jam up the works. Im a dirty mofo and mine is mounted with the hole up on my right side and I haven't noticed any drop off in performance. As for long term durability, only time will tell, but thats why things go through a prototype phase!

It really isn't that large. It is smaller than my hand. I meant to grab a picture yesterday of my old lanyard daisy chained up next to it, its the same size.

Btw, sweet video Nick. I just skimmed through when I made that last comment, so I didn't catch the video. Nice work on it man, I like the VoiceOver technique.

Thanks Adrian. I am finding that with voice over I can be much more concise with my message. The other big benefit is that in filming I dont have to worry to about sound quality, or pairing 'good audio' with 'good video'. I can do a segment 3-4 times in a row, and then move on, all quickly and quietly. When I get to the editing its easier because I am only considering the visual content.

Once that is choreographed I mute all the tracks to remove the outside sound and then add the voice-over. I haven't tried scripting the VO yet as you run into timing problems that leads back to having to fit your video editing into a 'package'. So far I have been doing the video and then 'narrating' what I am watching, a few segments will take a a couple of takes to get the message right but it is seeming to work out fine.

Thanks Adam, besides lighting how could I improve it?

Not that I can think of. You could maybe try to talk someone into being a camera man for you but your shots are lined up very well for mounting the cam by yourself.

I think the video is WAY better than pictures at giving you an idea how effective it is.

I'll probably try one eventually after seeing the video. My lanyard loop is a PITA. I've even had it occasionally work it's way into my pantin. That's always a good time!

Cool, I use my Contour Roam, and the only downside of it is that there is no viewfinder due to the small size and shape. For helmet cam stuff its no big deal since the camera is pointed where you look and you couldnt see a LCD anyway. For mounting purposes its a bit of a crapshoot though as to the POV!

How about a velcro'ed on sighting tube, could be as simple and light as a drinking straw section????

BINGO! I will report back with how that goes! It has a leveling laser on it that works great inside, or even outside with walls and such but its useless up in the air with nothing solid around.

Thanks a lot Sean

Is the RSW weather resistant ?
I mean, the ropes are often wet or even soaking wet. In a such confined area, the lanyard can't dry. It delivers a full humidity or liquid water to the spring during a long time. That's a good way to get rust quickly if the spring isn't stainless steel. This will jam the mechanism and wear the plastic body.

OMTC - It certainly isn't as fine a mechanism as a tape measure. I am not sure this is a big concern as there is much more space for grit to fall around and less 'confined space' for grit and sand to work into and jam up the works. Im a dirty mofo and mine is mounted with the hole up on my right side and I haven't noticed any drop off in performance. As for long term durability, only time will tell, but thats why things go through a prototype phase!

It really isn't that large. It is smaller than my hand. I meant to grab a picture yesterday of my old lanyard daisy chained up next to it, its the same size.

Cool, that's what I suspected about the mechanism but I had to ask because a couple of the Arbtalk guys came up with concepts that failed with the introduction of a bit of dust.
Regarding the size, it's a non issue for me. Even if it's bigger I see at as a superior system to having the lanyard trailing you or having to daisy chain it after every use. I use a Cinch so I'm really excited about getting one of these ASAP.
I'll be watching this thread and waiting eagerly.

Back