Restart trouble with 064

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sure hope I never have ignition trouble. I can put in a carb kit or fuel line just fine...machining is beyond my capabilities. I can't even quite visualize what an offset key would look like :?.

Well, believe it or not, that's about what my pea brain conjured up :). Sorta Z shaped, in end profile, right?

Thanks, Al.

Somehow I let this thread die...well 'eff me, it's 9 years ago. Remarkable :D.

The end result of it came down to pure operator error. The 064 does not feature a half choke ignition switch position, something it took me far too long to cotton to. In my ignorance, I was full choking it when that was the last thing it wanted. It is a warm blooded beast...unless it is truly nasty cold, once you've had it running, it likes being started at idle setting for a looong time. As much as 2 hours at 50-60 degrees F.

The reason this thread came up for a bump is, my newish (4 years) across the road neighbor was having trouble bucking firewood rounds with his too small saw on some big logs he was left with after an ill advised (my perspective only:)) clearcut of all the Doug fir around his house. I finally took pity on him, drug the old 064 beast out and in about 4 hours made probably 5 cords of rounds for him to split and stack.

They are nice young folks, with three well behaved children. They will get there :).

Last edited:
The poor fellow was trying to cut 30 to 40 inch diameter logs with a Stihl 311, upon which he had ignorantly bolted a 32 inch bar...apparently thinking a long bar was the sole answer to his needs.

The wide eyed look he held as the 064 cut straight and true rounds off in 1/10th or less the time he was getting seriously curving kerfs that produced nothing usable, was fun to see :).

Good to hear your 064 is running well.

Big bars is often not as good to have as a suiteble saw. I found its better to match bar after saw, rather than size of wood. Turns out to be more cost and time efficient.
I repair many saw that has cooked from being overloaded. Bad chain, small saw for bar and its just a matter of time before it go kaboom...

Fond memories of the 064 Burnham, a beautiful machine.
My 1st boss at a tree service was a prick, I worked there about 2 months but it was long enough for me to realize I could enjoy the work if I had a boss that was a little more patient with a 19 year old newb.
My 2nd boss was much better and I spent 4 years there and learned a lot. His company probably grossed around 700k a year with five 026 and a pair of 064 as the only saws. He didn’t skimp on equipment that we needed, but he had a foreman that was meticulous about saw maintenance.
Take care of those babies and they’ll work long hours for decades.

Back