Quick Question for Faller-Types (Quick! I Promise!)

Jed

TreeHouser
Gentlemen: I apologize in advance to the East-Coast fellow who protested to some earlier post that I had made, in which I had listed a few "Faller Pro Types" who regularly contribute to this site, and all of them happened to be PNW folks. Gentlemen, this omission was due solely to ignorance I assure you. I happen to live in the PNW, and so, am only familiar with the people, and trees, and customs, and methods endemic to the Pacific North West. My silence on the Eastern and European Broad-Limb Experts was not intentional, and I beg your pardon.

So here is my quick question as promised: If you guys miss a lay, do you tend to miss it on the side that you cut from? Weirdest thing, and I swear that this is not due to Beranak's "Parallax-Error"; yes, I know what that is, and I swear that I am mindful of it, and take many pains to counteract it. What I mean is that no matter which side of the tree I cut from--i.e. "natural" (From the right-hand side of the tree, for a right-hander--back-cut made with the saw held by the full-wrap.), or else, "goofy" (From the left side of the tree for a right-hander--back-cut made with the saw held by the half-wrap.)--I always, if I miss, tend to miss on the side that I cut from. Do you guys ever notice the same thing? Yes, my bar-posts are very old. Yes my gunning sights read slightly differently depending on whether the saw is held "regular" or "goofy" (upside-down). Yes, I have found Willard's T-square trick to be invaluable, though I don't always use it cause I'm too lazy to get it out of the truck, or else, don't have it, becaused I'm forced into a different truck almost every other day. Anyway, have you guys noticed this?

I haven't noticed that tendency myself, but assuming your face is right with no other mitigating circumstances, are you possibly over cutting the far side with the back cut, and causing the tree to swing towards the stronger hinge side? Looking at the remnants of the hinge should inform.

Sounds like parallax error to me....
Use a pair of tape measures to mark your corners and set your lay. make your face according to your marks, then use your gunning sights to see the difference. See if that helps

I wasn't mad at you for the faller pro comment. I was encouraging you to keep your vision open to various horizons. Meaning the best tool box is the one with both metric and standard wrenches.

Sounds like parallax error to me....
Use a pair of tape measures to mark your corners and set your lay. make your face according to your marks, then use your gunning sights to see the difference. See if that helps

+1 That is what it sounds like to me also.

Just another thing to check. I was taught, years ago, "Make sure your face cut is level." If not level, a tree will often 'pull' to the high side, which is usually the side you cut from. :)

I haven't noticed that tendency myself, but assuming your face is right with no other mitigating circumstances, are you possibly over cutting the far side with the back cut, and causing the tree to swing towards the stronger hinge side? Looking at the remnants of the hinge should inform.

the stump doesn't lie... check your gunning line as the back cut approaches completion to make sure your hinge is straight...

If you don't tell anyone where it was supposed to land, you can always say... "landed just where I wanted it to". No one will know any different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks boys: If I had just read this thread sent out from another guy, I'd of said what Jack said: "Sounds like his near corner tends to be his accidental high corner." But that ain't it.

Willie: It's not parallax error. Parallax error is what happens when the cut is over-gunned. My trouble is under-gunning from my cutting side. As Murph said, "The stump doesn't lie." What I'm telling you guys, is that even if I have a super far gunning target, when the tree is down and I've missed, I'll go look at that stump, and sure enough--I've under-gunned it, regardless of whether I've cut from the left or right. Just wondering if anyone else out there had had the same trouble.

I know what Burnham wld say, "Then over-gun it a tad next time, dummy." (He said as much to me when I was crying about not being able to line up a diagonal cut at Flip-fest.) I guess I was just wondering if this were a very common rookie error or not. From now on I'm gonna stick like glue to Williard's T-square. Never fails!

That was not a quick or short question at all. In the big picture it actually opens a whole can of worms that can not be explained in any quick or simple reply.

On the other hand the question can yield responses from the members of this forum that we can all draw good information from. And all for the better for it.

Good question, Jed, though not an easily answered one.

You don't have to backchain...assuming wrap handles, I guess :). Maybe a rash assumption.

Even with wraps I find it more comfortable to cut my face from the right looking forward and backcut from the left. For me the wrap comes into play when for some reason or other I don't want to or can't be on my preferred sides to make the cuts.

I could make all the cuts from whatever side if the situation dictates but given the choice with no reason not to, I'll cut from the sides I stated.

What's wrong with backchaining? It keeps the sawdust off ya!

It works alright and I'll do it at times but it's not really how saws were designed to be used. Sorta like having your left hand on the trigger, I can do it, but I don't choose to unless the situation dictates it.

Back