problem rope

No,I think mice are pretty much free about where they mark their territory .

Which brings up another question .How does something so little small smell so bad .:?

I dunno what it was but nylon fiber is pretty tough stuff from my experiance .

I do a Google and see what I come up with .

That looks like an acid burn for sure! It looks to have burned off the sheath then melted the inner core.

I see some discoloring, like when a log is dropped on a limb and dirt gets rubbed into where it was smashed.

For sure retire the rope.

I tend to think that this isn't samson's fault if you had the rope sitting around for a while and aren't completely sure if mice or something else may've gotten in there.

Thinking about how rope is made, I can't imagine how this would happen and not be noticeable before it left the factory.

That stinks, though!

I just got a spool of Blaze if you want some!

love
nick

I recall tests done by Black Diamond some years back that showed urine (they tested human and feline) degraded nylon and polyester fibers far more than petrochemicals. Cat piss was the worst by some good margin. It was second only to battery acid, as I remember it.

I have no idea about mouse urine, but it could be similar.

Dump the rope...duh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just got done putting a splice in another hank of rope from the same box. I have carefully inspected the rope and there are NO DEFECTS. I will see how it holds up tomorrow. Yes there were some mouse turds in the box:whine:

I love my arbor master rope... :)
Not trying to derail the thread but since
it seems a storage problem might be a culprit.... I use 3-5 gal buckets (plastic with lid) for storage and deployment... Water proof and they are new buckets. I buy them at the hardware store... Anybody ever have any experience with storing rope in them? Any problems?

I just roll them up and hang them on a hook .I've never had a problem with a nylon line but then too I don't climb on them either so there in lies the difference .

My 1" three strand lines are 600 feet long and those are stored on a large wire reel .

I don't like storing ropes in sealed containers. Let 'em breath.

Store ropes in the typical cool, dark, dry location. Nylon and Dacron still degrade with time though. An unused ten year old rope should probably not see anything but static, non-human loads.

Arbormaster (especially the BWR) used to be my favorite climbing line before I switched over to small diameter lines. It's still my favorite light rigging line.

Blinker, I believe nylon and dacron are the same thing. How about polyester?

Back