The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

rope and technique id

Tree09

Treehouser
Looks like oceans polyester.... but you said 12mm? I thought oceans mainly came in 8 and 10 for arborists, but by the color and pattern that really looks like oceans. I do know it's used for sailboats too, and likely in different diameters, so maybe that's where he got it. Used like that it is going to be hard to splice, i think oceans has a reputation of being fairly hard even new, but most double braids with tight covers can be.

Tree09

Treehouser
Hmmmmm... that really really looks like oceans.

Jonny

Treehouser
I think Kyle is right. It’s possible it’s something completely different too, there’s a lot of manufacturers out there that aren’t so common.
Did you try burning the end a little, and see if some melts and some just chars a little? Might tell you something. Ocean is polyester and aramid, although not sure if it’s 50/50 or what.

Does anyone have a piece of 10mm Ocean they can check the diameter of? There’s an insane amount of variation in cordage, even different products from the same manufacturer will have significant differences yet claim to be the same.
I’ve heard it’s measured when loaded with a 50lb static pull, but I’m not sure how true that is or if different manufacturers measure differently.

I know I have a few climbing lines of 11mm that look thicker and thinner, and a bunch of 8mm cords that look as thick as some 10mm I have, and some Epicord 9.3mm that’s thicker than some 10.
Lots of variation out there.
Smart to learn exactly what you got though. I have a nice eye and eye that I won’t use because idk what it is yet.

Tree09

Treehouser
I think ocean has an aramid cover over a poly core. After the weaver cougar (which is what i run), i made a decision to only run poly core ropes, and i bought some oceans and armor prus poly. I also just looked and our sponsor is no longer carrying the armor prus poly for some reason....

Last edited:

Marc-Antoine

TreeHouser
I think ocean has an aramid cover over a poly core.
The cover is 50/50, the red or green colored fibers are polyester and melt like the core. The natural colored fibers in the cover have the slight yellow of the kevlar and don't want to melt at all, just burning. Finishing the rope's end with a flame is plain ugly.

lxskllr

Treehouser
Does super glue work pretty well? I was doing standard temporary type thread whips, but that takes too long. I then started using electric tape, and if I was cutting a piece off, I'd wrap ~3" tight, cut through the middle, then melt the ends. I was pretty happy with that til I got to heat resistant line. Tried it on that, and thought "Oh, yea. I guess that's not gonna work", and just went with electric tape. Seems to be ok so far, but I'm not out beating it up every day. Generally speaking, I haven't had good experiences with tape holding up well to use. It unpeels, and gums stuff up.

DMc

TreeHouser
Use the tape for keeping the cord ends tight initially, then use super glue to keep them that way. Super glue works great on synthetic fiber.

MasterBlaster

Administrator
Staff member
I SG the last 1.5 inches, tape it with a short piece of Gorilla take, then make a clean cut. I apply 1 or 2 drops on the end to finish it.

Mellow

Treehouser
Hmm, never knew about the super glue. I've always just used electrical tape.

FYI; When I first started climbing, Bartlett gave us 3-strand manila as a climbing line. Actually, it was our lowering line too. Things have come a long way since then.

BeerGeek

Treehouser
I think ocean has an aramid cover over a poly core. After the weaver cougar (which is what i run), i made a decision to only run poly core ropes, and i bought some oceans and armor prus poly. I also just looked and our sponsor is no longer carrying the armor prus poly for some reason....
@Tree09 Kyle, are you sure you didn't just miss the Armor-Prus on our sponsor's site due to the manufacturer's name in front?:

Tree09

Treehouser
Nope, but that's who i bought it from. They have a poly core variety, which won't abrade itself from the inside out. It's called armor prus poly. Apparently it's discontinued but you can still find it.

BeerGeek

Treehouser
The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!