problem rope

I recall tests done by Black Diamond some years back that showed urine (they tested human and feline) degraded nylon and polyester fibers far more than petrochemicals. Cat piss was the worst by some good margin. It was second only to battery acid, as I remember it.

I have no idea about mouse urine, but it could be similar.

Dump the rope...duh.

I've heard the same thing...but can't remember whether or not it was a myth!

Nicked ropes should be retired Frans.

Ouch! You musta been looking at my ropes closely.

A sixteen strand rope is made up of sixteen different 'strands' each one able to hold my body weight.
So why not live with a few little cut strands here and there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did a BIG silver maple TD today with the rope I spliced last night that was stored in the same box as the other rope, this one is yellow and white. Absolutely no problems, it still looks like a brand new rope, no "blow outs". I wish I knew what the deal is. Im going to email the ebay guy and see if he has seen anything like this before.

Ouch! You musta been looking at my ropes closely.

A sixteen strand rope is made up of sixteen different 'strands' each one able to hold my body weight.
So why not live with a few little cut strands here and there?

Haha, I just said that for the sake of the pun Frans. I wasn't getting on your case.

Blinker, I believe nylon and dacron are the same thing. How about polyester?

Dacron = polyester. Nylon is it's own thing.

Nylon is something else. Practically every rope arborists use is made of polyester (less stretchy than nylon, more UV resistant, chafe resistant, and doesn't lose strength when wet, nor does it absorb water like nylon does)

That said, there are a few line that incorporate nylon into their construction. Velocity is one that comes to mind.

Hey, I only climb on Nicked ropes!!! :P

love
nick

Burnham the blowouts showed within the first hour of use whilst trimming an oak so no hooks or bombing wood. Its just a rope but I sure would like to know what caused it as I can imagine BAD things happening.......

Well, for whatever it's worth, let me share this:

Forest Service climbers as a rule are not every day climbers. With some exceptions, we only climb as seasonal demands for cone collections, or wildlife habitat improvement projects, or SOI surveys roll around (examples, of which there are many others).

The biggest issue we face in keeping ropes, lanyards, harnesses, slings, etc. (all fabric items) suitable for use is not wear, as would likely be the case for most of you. It is storage conditions. We attach a great deal of emphasis in climber training on the proper conditions under which climbing gear must be stored to preserve it's fuctionality.

Of the many things that can degrade a rope's condition in storage, one of the primary hazards is rodents. Mice are the number one risk here, rats as well, and squirrels don't get off with a pass either.

The pics you posted look to me exactly like damage caused by mice, chewing on rope to forage for nest material. Mouse poop in the box is evidence of rodent presence and activity.

There is nothing more difficult than keeping mice out of a shed, garage, or workshop. The only way to protect ropes, etc. is to store them in rodent-proof containers, and keep up a vigilant rodent control program.

The rope as a whole cannot be used, I fear. Perhaps segments can. I'd not worry too much about urine damage here, it's chewing that is the real issue.

Last edited:
Firstly Burham what are you doing up at 4am???? Secondly the thing I dont understand is that the rope didnt show these blowouts before use. I say this with 90% certainty, as with most climbers Im sure I would have felt those spots whilst coiling the rope. I always keep a firm grip on the rope with my left hand and pull it through with my right so I get a good "feel" for the rope every time I do it up. I always find defects this way, cannt imagine I missed 4 or 5 on this one:? So I believe these defects were inturnal hence Im going with chemical damage so will retire the whole rope. Strange that the other rope in the same box is fine??

I'm in the midst of a nasty cold, Paul. Have had to get up and have a cup of tea about 0230 the last three nights to clear the crud out of my throat and get the breathing passages soothed and working. Nasty.:(

If you are sure the areas of damage were not visible before you worked the rope, then I have to agree with you. And they should have been obvious.

Just bought a 182' 1/2" staible braid from the ebay guy for $100! Sweet Ive been worrying about the 2 years of abuse Ive subjected my 1/2 nystron to, I figure if Im worried about it ,its time to replace it. The Ebay guy says he will replace that arbormaster but hasnt ever seen that before, I wasnt even trying to get him to replace it I was just asking if he knew what had happened.

Ebay guy rocks8)

Back