need advice buying a new welder

Porkbrick

TreeHouser
we got robbed a few months back, and one of the things taken was my welder :((Lincoln sp-100t). the insurance money finally came through and im wondering if y'all have any advice on a replacement. i liked the welder i had, but would love to use this opportunity to upgrade:/:. only ever used flux-core on the old one, tho it could set up for mig. 120v is a must as i don't often, if ever, have access to 220. thanks. jaime

IF you can come up with the money, and don't mind spending it, I'm a HUGE fan of the Miller 130 units. Can't say I like the 140's, but the 130 seems to be the biggest unit, with the best duty cycle I can find. I want one, but..................
Nothing wrong with the Hobart per se, but it's just not the machine the Miller is, even though Miller now owns Hobart.
I've nothing but mixed reviews on the Lincoln machines, it's either love or hate on the smaller ones. NOTHING in between! Therefore I cannot recommended one, nor will I buy one!

I'm kind of out of the loop when you mentioned the word "new " .:O

I suppose they make good usable 120 volt welders although I've never seen one that amounted to too much .They say some of the small wire welders aren't too bad though .

Miller generally makes pretty good machines .Lincoln has been around for ever and funny as it might seem some years ago on certain Lincoln plus Miller units the only difference in them was the color of the paint .So who actually made them is a mystery .Airco got in on that too except rather than blue or red theirs were a brown color .

Leave the 110 volt welders on the shelf @ the retail store!

As far as 110 units, I've never had any complaints on my Hobart, except for what I'd have to do to run a spool gun.

There are a couple of DVI(Dual Voltage Input) options on the market from Miller, but the downside still comes out to the duty cycles being just above that of an average 110V unit, and the cost is definitely higher.

Millermatic 211
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_211_autoset/

Millermatic Passport Plus
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_passport_plus/

The Handler 210 and 187 are popular 220v units that easily accept spoolguns, if aluminum welding needed to be done. Yes you can use a standard mig to weld aluminum after switching your liner and sheilding gas, and feed rollers., but that is where the spoolgun makes life easier I know you said that you are limited to 110, I just threw these out there as something to consider.

Hobart also has a new welder out now, the Trek 180, that functions as a 110 welder, and also as a battery powered welder. This is actually a fairly powerful unit, and from the reviews that I have heard.
http://hobartwelders.com/products/battery-powered/trek180/#Accessories

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks for the suggestions guys. i think around $600 is what i got from the insurance (boss has the check as it was the company that got robbed and my welder just happened to be in the shop). yes, i would love to have a big generator rig or some-such but i just don't weld enough to justify that, not to mention my welding skill/knowledge is minimal. alas i have way too many hobbies already, and my welder was there for tinkering, minor fabs (on all my million dollar ideas), and small repairs. anyhoo, keeping all that in mind i wold love to hear more from you guys. like i said my welding knowledge hasn't much expanded since high school metal shop and the more info/input from you guys the better. thanks again. jaime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As far as 110 units, I've never had any complaints on my Hobart, except for what I'd have to do to run a spool gun.

There are a couple of DVI(Dual Voltage Input) options on the market from Miller, but the downside still comes out to the duty cycles being just above that of an average 110V unit, and the cost is definitely higher.

Millermatic 211
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_211_autoset/

Millermatic Passport Plus
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_passport_plus/

The Handler 210 and 187 are popular 220v units that easily accept spoolguns, if aluminum welding needed to be done. Yes you can use a standard mig to weld aluminum after switching your liner and sheilding gas, and feed rollers., but that is where the spoolgun makes life easier I know you said that you are limited to 110, I just threw these out there as something to consider.

Hobart also has a new welder out now, the Trek 180, that functions as a 110 welder, and also as a battery powered welder. This is actually a fairly powerful unit, and from the reviews that I have heard.
http://hobartwelders.com/products/battery-powered/trek180/#Accessories

i would love to have one of these but.... ouch, my bank account is making sad whimpering sounds and begging me to stop drooling with my checkbook in my hand.

I generally avoid pawn shops but perhaps you might find something decent if you look around. Seems welders are one of those tools that don't really wear out so you might find something within your budget that is substantially better than what you could afford new.

I wish I bought a real welder from the start.

But now that I have the 110 Lincoln, I guess I can use it at some point in the future.

Miller 252 will be my next.

Nothing wrong with the Hobart per se, but it's just not the machine the Miller is, even though Miller now owns Hobart.

Basicly the same machines, same duty cycles, distributors, availabilty, just different prices imo.
Of course I would love a miller trailblazer or bobcat too but they are not even in the same league as a 110V welder that was asked about. I have a Lincoln sa-200 and LN-25 suitcase that runs mig, tig and stick but thats a different game

Seems welders are one of those tools that don't really wear out so you might find something within your budget that is substantially better than what you could afford new.
Actually they don't .My oldest was made in 1940 and it a Lincoln 250 amp buzz box ,movable core type that doesn't even have a cooling fan .Just about 200 plus pounds of solid copper windings that will burn 5/32" 7024 iron powder rods until the stinger is so hot you can't hold it any more .

Now this is no joke they don't make this practicular item like they did in the old days and that's a fact . Cutting to the chase on the question ,often times good machines pop up on Craigs list and other on line advertising things for a reasonable price .Just see it operate before you plunk any money down .

Stick with miller, Lincoln, or Esab and avoid harbor freight knock offs. I hate hobart products but maybe I just have bad luck, cause none of their stuff has held up for me... If you need a new welding hood, go for a speedglass and you will never need a new hood.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing.
For my X-rayed work, Lincoln only if I have any choice in the matter.
That said I have a Hobart 140 that I run flux core on for field repairs and it has been a great little machine for the money.

I ordered one and I ordered one for my brother too.

I have a tough situation. I just put my old Lincoln 140C on craigslist, and someone wants to pick it up tomorrow saturday. I hate getting rid of something and not having the replacement.

I'll upgrade to the Miller 180 and get a $50 tip if I sell it. :)

Thanks Jason@

Nice find, and nicer snag guys! Wish I had the extra cash, that is what I've been wanting to get!

I have a Hobart 135 which I dont think they make any more. It has been a great machine, and I have used the crap out of it. If I have one complaint it would be the duty cycle, but it is a 110 machine so you can only do so much. I also have a ESAB tig and it is a good unit it is just really expensive to get parts, and hard to get service. My standby is my lincoln crackerbox, but it never gets used. If you are ever going to try Aluminum welding make sure that what ever you get will fit a spool gun. Never tried a spool gun for aluminum but I have been told it is doable with practice. Good luck,

Never tried a spool gun for aluminum but I have been told it is doable with practice. Good luck,

When you get into 1/8"+ stock, it's a real jewel. Now don't get me wrong, GTAW is great too, but the luxury of just squirting wire is so nice, especially for a quick repair.

The older Handler/Millermatic 135/140/175/180 units not equipped with the auxiliary plugs can run a spool gun with the SGA 100 adapter.