My Website is Finally Up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sweet, made most of the changes you folks suggested.

I kind of wonder if this is anyone we know. When I named my business I did a thorough search for similarly named tree services. They use an eastern tanager and mine is a western, so I suppose there's no harm. Still kind of curious though.

Nice website! Your truck and chipper look a good outfit.

Nice points thruout

This is probably just me being weird ( as usual) but I wouldn't put a picture of a person with tattooes like that on my web site.
Scares off the old ladies.
Truth be told, around here, being tattooed like that would make it hard to get hired. Sends the wrong signals.

Not in my company. Tattoes are fine, if covered by clothing anything beyond that, and I won't hire the person.

In the woods, I could care less what we look like, but working in people's yards and on the castle grounds, I expect everyone to wear clean company logo clothing.

I like the site, it's appealing in a warm kind of way...information is clear with attractive colors and not boastful. The photos part, to what degree people other than tree workers are going to want to look through it, I am a bit dubious. It probably doesn't matter to you if the other part gets your intentions across, which is understandable. I don't think you need the photo collection at the site, but could use the photos in a more meaningful way. Websites with static photos that get put up and are unchanging without being added to on a regular basis, have become obsolete. Linking from your site to your blog, that has the photos and possibly allows comments from your viewers and your response if you want to, is a more current approach. I don't know if you have the time or inclination to maintain a blog (quick and easy to do with the free hosting and templates provided), but it does keep things fresh, and the way people link their blogs to other people's blogs, does propel a tremendous amount of internet activity. A website works well with a blog, they are two different things really. I know the intention is not so much to sell work, and the website establishes you, but if I was looking at the possibility of hiring you, noting your exchange with your customers that have commented at your blog, would be something that I would like to see. It is fine to ask someone that you have done work for, to perhaps post a comment at your blog, also telling them that you will be putting up a few pics. They might find it fun. It is the current trend for sure, things have much gone in that direction. You can also change the look of your blog with one click of the mouse. There is a nuance to it, which is big in the internet world as it currently goes along today. Just sayin'.....

I could blog endlessly on politics and philosophy but am largely done with tree by the end of the day. I try to keep my politics away from my works as this is a very religious and conservative state. I take your point on the gallery. If the photos are to say anything it is that we are not just about work but have fun and enjoy each other's company. It's the least focused page on the site.

I felt the same way about my woodworking blog, who wants to do it all day then come home and talk about it? I later came to see it as a part of the business that needs to be there, not so much to bring in work, which it really doesn't do, but just to stay current on things. I have hooked up with some fine and very smart people, that put up comments at my blog. Not wanting to deal with it, really isn't the best approach.... I may not be able to so well describe why, but it really isn't. You may find that you enjoy it from time to time, it doesn't require a constant effort. If you plan to continue taking photos, as I mentioned, it is a quick and easy format to show them. To what degree you want people to find your site, I really don't know, but a blog can much help with that as well. A blog can be a family affair also, whatever you want it to be. A blog does express the free world.

Anyway, you've done some good work with your site there, and I'm sure that you aren't eager to jump into something else, it's just that a blog may be something to further consider at some point. Finding the energy can take some commitment to begin with.

I guess I fear that I may really enjoy blogging and that my wife kills me as a result.

Not in my company. Tattoes are fine, if covered by clothing anything beyond that, and I won't hire the person.

In the woods, I could care less what we look like, but working in people's yards and on the castle grounds, I expect everyone to wear clean company logo clothing.

Thats how we are also. One of my guys has quite a bit of ink but he wears long sleeves. I bought long sleeve tee's for him so he wouldn't have to wear 2 shirts in the summer heat.

I thought you wear long sleeves? He has no problem with it, I have no problem with his ink. Some folks do, if they don't know about it, then no problem

I wear long sleeves, but it's my choice - not my employer.

The only tattoos I don't tolorate are neck tattoos. Only morons get neck tats, and I don't wanna work with morons.

I did Nick. I tried making my site on Rapid Weaver but didn't care for the look. I finally found a template on iWeb I liked. It wasn't really for a small business but the color scheme worked well enough.

Thats funny. My meager site is made in iWeb. I JUST installed rapid weaver because it's supposed to be so much better.

I emailed the developer and told them I want a refund. I can seem to make a half decent web page and I feel like I have no control over where the content goes.

At this point I'd rather use the outdated never going to be updated version of iWeb than to try and figure out rapid weaver.

Rapid weaver seems like a money pit, too. They want money for extra themes, add ons, and even instructional videos!

love
nick

Rapid Weaver just didn't suit me, iWeb seems more intuitive.

Nice! You guys are the best. I read and reread the site and missed all that. Tonight I need to learn how to fix all that. It's 9:30 and I just got back from removing a falling spruce. Time to switch gears.

It's hard to edit your own material...Your mind will just make the corrections as you read.

Back