my dirt bag cabin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
again with the pictures! my new coworker/trainee came out and helped me tear out the old and put in the new door posts. feels real good to get that out of the way.

this is the old post, little buggers went to town:X.
IMG_0458.jpg
lifting the butt so i can drill the hole for the indexing pin in the footing
IMG_0448.jpg
pulled some of the ply off the roof so i could lift the post through
IMG_0447.jpg
in place!
IMG_0449.jpg
post is bolted to the beam and the top then cut flush with the ceiling.
IMG_0450.jpg
both up!
IMG_0452.jpg

Im thinking of having a work/camp out/bbq/hang out party the weekend after the fourth. if any of you all are in the neighborhood you are welcome to come! its almost time to put some plaster up!

still making progress. slowly but (hopefully) surely the project progresses.

The first plaster coat begins to go on!
IMG_0532.jpg
the mix is; shredded redwood bark, dirt, lime, clay, and portland cement. the mix around the windows has paper pulp instead of bark so it will squish into the chicken wire
IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg
this guy turned up when we were digging for dirt. he was pissed!

IMG_0535.jpg
day three of plastering, you can see the improvement in finish. it is only layer one of three plus tho. the odd patch is from a few test batches put up previous
IMG_0542.jpg
IMG_0545.jpg
one of the bottle windows roughed in.
IMG_0548.jpg
you may have noticed the straw bales on the wall! that is the next step. i hauled 60 bales up in the work truck and dumped them at the site. fingers crossed for a dry autumn!

So interesting to see what this is shaping up to be. I aways think first of Dirtbag like dirtbag traveling rock climber, not bag filled with dirt. A much grander scheme.

You really need to finish up because the fam and I are are selling and want to be in there by the first of September!

Back