my dirt bag cabin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you look close, my son is standing on the refractory brick layer. That forms the inside floor of the oven.

I see it now. You should be good to go. One thing is to use "flue set" refractory mortar that can handle moisture.

Great stuff, Jaime! Good to read about your good fortune with the county....
our buildings were old enough to be grandfathered in. they dropped the red tag and i felt like i just won the friggin' lottery!

:lol: Sometimes nice guys DO come out ahead.

Your boys' sense of fashion is...boyish! Looks like a fun young'un.

OK...now I will retract any sympathy I might have harbored for your current work load re your new property and how that's keeping you from work on the dirtbag cabin. Anyone who can set aside that project to spend time building an eff'n pizza oven needs to reconsider their priorities.

Just sayin', bro :).

ha! im mastering the art of doing 10 projects at once in increments equal to a 2yr olds attention span :D. pizza was something i could get him enthused about, plus it required the making of mud. IMG_3796.jpg IMG_3797.jpg IMG_3813.jpg after the sandstone slabs there is a thin layer of sand. fire brick is bedded on the sand and then damp sand is piled on top to form the shape of the inside of the dome. that's covered in wet newspaper to keep the sand from crumbling and a 2" layer of mud goes overtop. the first layer id dense and holds heat well. over the first layer goes a second that's 4" thick and incorporates a lot of straw in the mix. that adds more mass to hold heat and the straw gives some tensile strength. i used the door itself to form the arch of the opening. the edges of the door are tapered so it makes a good fit but comes out without getting jammed.

OK...now I will retract any sympathy I might have harbored for your current work load re your new property and how that's keeping you from work on the dirtbag cabin. Anyone who can set aside that project to spend time building an eff'n pizza oven needs to reconsider their priorities.

Just sayin', bro :).

Well, he already does have one at the cabin. Best have one at home too.

IMG_3814.jpg IMG_3816.jpg IMG_3819.jpg IMG_3826.jpg added the chimney to help move the smoke above face level. finished the second layer of cob and its time to pull out the sand form.

everything is better with dinosaurs! IMG_3821.jpg IMG_3822.jpg IMG_3823.jpg IMG_3829.jpg oven works awesome, at some point before is starts to rain ill put a final coat of plaster on it to give it a little more protection. i also need to go back and re mortar the keystone with a high temp mortar instead of clay.

Cool!
A trick is to use corn meal between your peel and the item to be baked it slides off and on easier when done.

Oh shit that's where I've heard of you! You got a website or can I pm you here or email to do some business?

@Porkbrick

Jaime, how is your cabin?
It’s still there 😆, but other than putting a door on the outhouse I haven’t had a chance to do a thing on it. Not sure if I mentioned it here but we found a sweat deal on a house on 2acres nearer town and bought it almost 4 years ago now. All of my time and energy not going into akimbo, akimbo max, morgan block, childcare, gardening, work, and keeping the wife happy, has gone into improvements on the new place (and setting up my workshop 😜). At this point I am seriously toying with the idea of selling the cabin and property. It would simplify my life plus give us a chunk of cash we can put towards remodeling our home. It’s a bittersweet thing to be considering. On the one hand it’s been an awesome project and something I’ve always wanted to do, on the other I’ve always known it would never be a place I could live full time and the land was bought as an investment.

Back