Motorcycling.

Have the Ducatis gotten rid of their somewhat unreliable electrics?

I'm in a bit of the same situation, Burnham.
I've finally decided to sell my BMW K1100Lt when I leave for Schweiz.
I like the bike a LOT, but with the crazy tax system we have, bikes, even used ones, are so expensive here, that I can get another one like it for less than ½ the price there.
But, now I have a potential back seat passenger, and mountains to ride in.
I love the touring bike with full fairing for all year running, but it is impossible to ride on unpaved roads and trails( well, not impossible, but certainly not nice).
So maybe go for a big semi offroad bike like the R1200GS instead.
I'll be renting one in California this summer, maybe that'll decide it. I may like it well enough to never want a tourer again.
Otherwise it'll be a BMW K1200GT or maybe a Honda Pan-European, the newish 1300 cc model.

Decisions, decicions...............I'm starting out by putting a twin saddle on the old police bike, that'll make it easier to sell and give me a chance to see how my swiss lady handles riding pillow at the speeds I like to travel.

Start with the Dakar to GS difference. The Dakar has a 21" front tire and high mount fender meant for more off road bias. Along with a little more suspension travel which translates to a higher seat height.
The GS was the more All roads model. With a 19" front tire.

In a ranking #1 based on what you describe would be the GS 650.

#2 the Multi 620

#3 the Multi 1000

#4 the Dakar, because of lack of street handling.

#1 and #2 could easy swap back and forth in position for me based on changes to how much gravel is ridden, and your comfort with maintenance.

A note on Duc Multi's, the seat is often referred too as Vinyl covered plywood.

Another to look at is the Suzuki Strom 650. It is a 90 deg twin like the Duc, so it is smooth but with a 19" front so it handles All roads well. Plus maint is less than the Duc's, more like the BMW 650 single.

Thanks very much, Wally. Good, concise summary.

I'm aware of the seat comfort issue with the Ducs, though I hear that post 2003 models got a bit of an upgrade. One 1000 on offer here in Portland has a Corbin aftermarket seat, looks much more cush.

Blue (Tim) mentioned the Suzuki as well. I read up on it some, and I'm sure it would perform to my wishes just fine...but I guess I'm a snob about bikes, just can't get much enthusiasm up for any of the Japanese makes, excellent machines though they may be.

Thanks again, my friend. Appreciate your comments re M's concerns...I love the woman more than life, and certainly more than an old man's wish for a toy. Making her worry and knowing she'd fret for my safe return every time I'd leave on the thing isn't something I relish...so we shall see where that part of the equation goes.

The Duc's are going to be a much quicker steering and handling bike on a hard surface road like asphalt.
The Dakar's steering geometry and tire size will make it a little slower in response on asphalt, but on gravel makes them very nice.

Performance, well the 620 is a good runner that needs to use rpm for power. The 1000cc is a semi pro race bike with a faring.

The Dakar will be much more tractor like in how it lays the torque down. By no means slow, but won't rev out, or be quite as smooth as the Duc's at higher rpms.

The maint schedule on the BMW will be pretty forgiving. The Rotex motor is a workhorse.
The Duc's aren't bad but the valve adjustments are quite a undertaking the first couple times.

Are you familiar with the Duc dry clutch sound at idle?

If I have missed some thing ask away.

One question more...maybe just one:). Above, you note that the Ducati Multi 1000 is a semi-pro race bike with a fairing. Are you sure we're talking about the same model? The one's I've been looking at have not got fairings, at least my definition of a fairing. Not really a race bike, also by my definition.

Just askin' as the saying goes :).

Life is fraught with danger. I know I feel vulnerable on a bike, but it sure can be fun. Riding in good conditions, locations, and being cautious can certainly help. Has M ridden much or at all?

Not at all.

I am in your camp, and for me personally, the risk/reward equation pencils out in favor of riding.

Not the point, really. If it hurts her, in ways that don't make sense to me...it still hurts her. That, I want to avoid as much as I can, even when I sacrifice something that has value to me. That's sort of how I try to deal with all sorts of decisions regarding my relationship with M. Sometimes I go with selfish, but I really try to not go that way.

This isn't a done deal either way. And that's because as best I can tell, she approaches decisions affecting me the same way. Maybe that's why after 36 years together it's still is a joy...almost always :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a Multi 2007 1200. Great bike, crap looks!

Anybody seen the film 'Why we Ride'. Currently on iTunes, I really enjoyed it.

M.

One question more...maybe just one:). Above, you note that the Ducati Multi 1000 is a semi-pro race bike with a fairing. Are you sure we're talking about the same model? The one's I've been looking at have not got fairings, at least my definition of a fairing. Not really a race bike, also by my definition.

Just askin' as the saying goes :).

Same body style I posted in the clutch video right?
So not really a fairing like a Gold wing. But also not a naked were you can see the frame tubes and the headstock.
If I remember right there is also a couple small storage compartments up around the tank/cowling.
The 1000cc Duc is a very performance based bike. 90+hp that hits strong at mid range and pulls hard to red line.

No snob note taken, a person knows what they like. :)

I looked hard at the 2003-2005 Duc 1000DS when I got my Aprilia. Clutch basket was the only issue that came up in my searching. 50 to 60K miles and it may get to sloppy and need a new basket. Which there are some good upgraded ones now.

Same body style I posted in the clutch video right?
So not really a fairing like a Gold wing. But also not a naked were you can see the frame tubes and the headstock.
If I remember right there is also a couple small storage compartments up around the tank/cowling.
The 1000cc Duc is a very performance based bike. 90+hp that hits strong at mid range and pulls hard to red line.

No snob note taken, a person knows what they like. :)

I looked hard at the 2003-2005 Duc 1000DS when I got my Aprilia. Clutch basket was the only issue that came up in my searching. 50 to 60K miles and it may get to sloppy and need a new basket. Which there are some good upgraded ones now.

Gotcha, Wally. Same as you posted, right...I should have thought of that :|:.

I'm gonna throw this into the mix Burn, XTZ660
2012-Yamaha-XTZ660-EU-Matt-Grey-Studio-007.jpg

more street orientated than the looks but quite capable offroad if you so wish.

Thanks, Tim. I'll look into it a bit...even if it does say "Yamaha" on it :D.

I know the Japanese bikes are good stuff. I know. But...

Burnham, I'm glad to hear you're looking at getting a bike together again.
Motorcycles are awesome for Bids, Estimates, Traffic, Gas economy, FUN, ETC.

I started riding with a bunch of folks on Sunday's,
there all quite a bit older than me but super accomplished in all their racing careers.
I've learned a lot.

and Yes, one can die in a heartbeat on one.

Choose your way and go with it.

Get an BMW 800GS. All the advantages of the bigger bike but lighter and cheaper :-)

Ha, maybe!

The Multi truly is a fantastic bike with very addictive engine characteristics. I loved mine but no one else did!

Not sure how durable the older style is out of warranty either.

The BMW's are hard to beat but you have to go for a single for any real off road performance.

Do it. Any Motard is a good Motard.

I just saw this on the Easter ride.

Attachments

• 1520708_10202206482816229_897758805871221561_n.jpg
    1520708_10202206482816229_897758805871221561_n.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 45
Back