Motorcycling.

Been looking a a couple of Ducati Multistradas for sale hereabouts, of late. I need one like a hole in my head, but what's an old retired treeclimber to do? 8)

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/4273015328.html

The Multistrada 1000 doesn't make 150hp, more like 95, I believe. Still, a good ways ahead of the 65 or so my old Norton Commando turned out, so your point is valid Tim.

Worth considering, 'cause I have no wish to paint a tree. I'll have a look at the bike you suggest. I also could look for a Ducati Multistrada 650, the Rotex version might be nice.

You have to admit though, between a Ducati and a Suzuki, there really is no comparison on so very many levels :).

The 1200 duc multi makes 150hp. :evil:

I have chased a buddy all over the eastern mountains, he rides a Vstrom 650. Good bike.

But yes not near the bling or sound of a Duc 1000 twin.

I don't see any problem with old farts like us and big hp. We don't have the same desire as a young guy to crank it wide open and see what this thing will do.

My bud had a Road King with head work, cams, pipes, etc. I cranked it and was quite shocked a Harley could run like that.

Old farts who haven't been on bikes for years should be cautious IMO.
Notice I wrote that I'd upgrade to 130 Hp if I decide to sell the BMW.

Also, there is one hell of a difference in 130-150 HP in a big heavy bike and the same amount in a 650 cc.
Not that I'd mind having a BMW RR1000S for those few sunny days of summer. But then they have put traction control and anti lift control on that to make it safe(r) for old farts.

If I lived in the US, I'd want a Mission bike. The idea of 160 soundless horses really appeal to me.

I know a guy who has a Boss Hoss. Chevy V8 in a motorcycle. I sat on it in his garage last winter and it didn't feel as heavy as one would think leaning it side to side a bit. Now that could be a handful I would think.

It's getting to be time for me to start thinking of adding another bike to the arsenal. Got the 2007 Suzuki VStrom Dl650 brand new in 2007, just turned 90,000 miles (144,000 km). It's been great, no complaints, but I'm ready for some more power and would really like a smoother ride.

Those BMW bikes look real nice.

Especially riding a bike in a country with an aging population has it's downside. Always ride with caution regarding the other guy.

I am a bit paranoid riding after discovering I'm not bulletproof like I was when I was young. Lots of bikers hurt/dying when a car makes a left in front of them.

Out in the country putting is enjoyable.

But what if a deer jumps out, or a turkey? Or a squirrel?

I dunno, scary shite. But maybe you just get used to risk, like in tree work.

I am a bit paranoid riding after discovering I'm not bulletproof like I was when I was young. Lots of bikers hurt/dying when a car makes a left in front of them.

Out in the country putting is enjoyable.

Me too. I lost my best friend this last June on his bike. He was leaving my house and got hit by an oncoming car making a left turn. The car was facing straight at him. He saw the car, but the car never saw him. I helped him build his own custom chopper that he was on, we had such a good time doing it. We did a lot of stupid stuff on our bikes that warranted being killed, and it turns out he dies riding responsibly on his way home for the day.

Putsing around is fine by me these days. I will never sell my chopper now, even if I hardly ride it anymore.

He knew life didn't have a lifetime warranty and he lived accordingly. I'm ok with it. It's really hard to get on the bike and not think about it though , which I'm sure a lot of people can attest to.

After my best friend growing up through high school died, I think about him almost everyday. Some place in my mind where he is just below the surface. It is strange.

My motorcycling career was three weeks and one day. I rode it after the crash, but sold it to pay bills later. My buddies with the crotch rockets have all started families and sold their bikes.

Unfortunately, it almost takes being in an accident to understand the caution required. I don't trust people at a stop sign any longer.

If I rode a motorcycle, I'd wear the brightest hi-viz jacket/vest I could find. Do they have helmets with flashing strobes? I'd wear that, too.

I have added a pair of extremely strong ( and highly illegal) Denali LEDs to my front end lights.
I annoy the hell out of other traffic, but no one misses that fact that I'm there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kIMZB4HDpnQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All of my buddies back in 02 went out and got crotch rockets. I was in the service and that was the last thing on my mind. I came home for a bit and everyone got together on a rural back road along the river. No houses, no traffic, no nothing. They were all ripping back and forth, doing wheelies and such. I wasn't there. I was chasing a girl at the time. 2 friends hit each other head on and killed each other. They weren't speeding, witnesses say they weren't playing chicken. They were just bopping along headed towards each other and for reasons we will never know, one bike drifted over and into the other. The one buddy was a few years older then me, and was my childhood hero. The "Cool older friend". Took me to parties of older people, worked on my dirtbike with me, worked on my first truck with me. Kind of brought me into the realm of being a young dude with "cool" older friends. He was the person I woke up every day and wanted to be. I took his death poorly. It got the ball rolling on a downward spiral I took for awhile in life. It wasn't the sole reason, but it was the starting gun. Ive never been on a street bike since. I don't fear them, I don't hate them, I just never got on one for some reason. The pain has kind of drifted away. I suppose it is still there, but memories fade, time marches on, and with that, the urge to put my face in my hands and sob has long passed. I still think about it on occasion.

The odd part of his death is that it should have happened sooner in his teens and very beginning of his twenties. he was NUTS. Im talking balls to the wall, no fear atll, live fast, die young sort of nuts. One of the craziest I ever imagined. Not with drugs or booze. But anything with tires. Especially ATV's, dirtbikes, and his asphalt track race car. A totally talented nut. He calmed down and fell in love around the time he got the crotch rocket and had mellowed out. Really started calming down and thinking about his future. Then he dies.

Back