Motorcycling.

That's exactly why KTM bought them out. Right after a bought my Berg, KTM acquired the company to use their four stroke technology. I believe the workers got together and bought the company back. You're right though, just about all the Berg parts you buy say KTM on the back.

My buddy's 18 year old klx 650.

Goat monster bike.

6y7emyny.jpg

lol.

hopefully not, Tom is a nice guy. Great fabricator, Matco Rep, and really into robots...

I got tapatalk figured out, I will be back on TH way more...

I don't have a PC
I got an apple laptop last year.... and it don't jive with nothing on the internet.
It was hard to upload anything here TH with my apple. I got Tapatalk working out.

My local BMW dealer has started to sell Zero motorcycles. Just out of interest I went and tried one out today.
Very, very nice bike. Only rated at 60 HP but being electric, the torque is out of this world, between 50-120 km/h it felt more like 100Hp.
No sound except a bit of humming and the tires on the asphalt. When stopped, it is completely silent, which takes some getting used to.
No gearbox, so no clutch. Just turn the handle and go.
REALLY a fun ride, I could definitely see myself owning one.
Range is about 220 km which ain't much, but as a commuter to work and shoppinbg it'll be enough. It was a very positive experience to ride it, now I'll have to find a way to try a Tesla roadster out:)

I watched a show about the new Porsche electric super car. It was nuts! I will admit that the current crop of electric toys is kinda neat, the Zero sound cool Stig.

I just cant get past the fact that most of my electricity comes from coal or other fossil fuels. The idea of a car being "green" because it does not burn fossil fuel directly but rather indirectly seems silly to me. We were in the process of getting a wind farm on the place until the investing money ran out under Obama, now I could get in line with that. An electric car hooked up to a wind tower would suit me just fine.

I have been riding my dad's 1100 V-Star Yamaha lately. He just bought the dang thing used. 69 years old and decided to get into motorcycling!

Jim, did you see me rave about the Zero being green?
I find that rather silly, in fact. Electricity is no more pollution free than other energy, even electricity from hydro power has it's bad points, at least if you are a Salmon or Hetch Hetchy.
One good point for it, if you burn fossil fuel at a power plant, you have a better chance of cleaning the smoke than if you burnt the same amount of fuel in a million cars.
That is, if you live in a country where the inhabitants don't mind paying a bit more for their electricity, knowing it comes fron a power plant that pollutes less.

I simply like the idea of no noise and loads of torque in a motorcycle.

Nah, it was not in response to you Stig. I was lashing out at people in general! This damn green movement has to be stopped at all cost! Its gonna ruin us.
Every time I see someone driving a hybrid or buying a CFL bulb I want to slap them. You did not rave about the Zero, but others will and then they will try to beat an old dinosaur like me over the head with their superiority, both moral and environmental. Mark my words, before I die Al Gore will be tried for crimes against humanity.

Dont worry Stig, I give you more credit than that! It does sound neat, but kinda scary too. The electric bike sounds like it just runs away with out any loud noises to warn you!

Very well balanced, especially the S model. It feels very light almost like its walking on it's toes.
It was a bit cramped for my 6'2", so I also tried the DS. More room for my legs, but not so lively to ride.
It took a bit of countersteering to lay it down in the curves, whereas the S was very willing to lay down.
One thing I didn't like, no ABS. I've gotten used to that on the BMW.

I'm of the opinion that very quiet motorized vehicles are a danger on the road for cyclists, and possibly also for pedestrians. Sound informs that someone is coming up from behind, so often best to move over on narrow roads as close to the shoulder as possible, things like that. If you hear a vehicle coming up to a crosswalk, chances are you are going to look that way even if you have the right of way. I don't like the electric cars for that reason, too quiet. Less a problem with the smaller bikes, but sets a bad precedent. You need every faculty working for you when on the road. Smell, that doesn't help much, except to remind how much many cars stink after they go by.

I tried using that very safety argument several times in High School while talking to the cops. I had a 77 blazer jacked up with straight pipes and a 72 Honda CB 750 with all four cylinders straight piped. I told them it was so the children could hear me coming.

I still have the CB 750, it was the coolest bike around when I was in school.

We get all our power from dams so it's definitely greener than fossil fuels imo. Hydro electricity is where it's at.

Hell yeah! Wind, solar, hydro, it is all good. They are busy tearing out dams down here, something about giving the fishies nightmares or something.

I wonder why we have to pick sides in the energy debate. You can be for coal but not wind. For natural gas but not hydro. You can be for nuclear but not oil or solar.

I am for all of them, plus straight piped motorcycles.

A custy showed me his Tesla, definitely a sweet whip and with lots of giddy up. But it is nearly silent, I would think that could be a safety issue, especially with a motorcycle.

I missed the earlier page of posts re dangers of quietness, duh.

Back