Measuring tree height.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
Looking for a reasonably accurate way to measure the height to a certain spot on a tree. For example, I need to find where 55' is on a pine tree to see if it has the diameter and knotiness to make a good timber. I have a laser rangefinder that will give inclination. Not sure if I can shoot the base, then the top and use trig to get the tree height. I know there are relaskops, but they are out of the budget at the moment. Thanks.

If your rangefinder measures %slope, it's gravy. Pull out 100'(this makes it easy), measure the % at the bottom, and then at the target. Add or subtract the two, and you got the height. Example, you measure -10% to the base, and +40% to the target height. 10+40=50'

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's just degrees. It's for shooting. I just found a Nikon forestry rangefinder that will do it for $446. Affordable, at some point, just not today.

See this thread...

You could also use trig with your rangefinder to get the height

I tried an app on my tablet for tree's height. You mesure the slope for a given height, bottom and top. It works in theory but with such a variation that's unusable. You have to aim along the tablet's side. Problem 1, beeping on the screen throws off the aim. Problem 2, changing the head/eye's position between the 3 stages mess the reference. Despite good willing, care and many mesurements, I never got two times the same result of my baby cedrus, about 48' all alone in the garden.
Repetability in the field = 0
Accuracy n the field = ... a field.

A stick with a shallow fork to rest the tablet in should improve the accuracy. Rock the tablet in the fork.

I have a free clinometer app.
On flat ground, looking up on a 45⁰ angle, you're looking from along the hypotenuse.

Measure from the base to viewing point 50', add your eye-height 5'ish. Spot the point on the tree corresponding to your number 55'.

Add for felling height and trim.

I'm pretty good at eyeballing ten foot sections looking up the stem to get an idea , have taken a tape to it after or my rope during and usually been pretty close

Back