Masterblaster aka Butch Ballowe III

Good call, Pete.

I too think of him often.

Jim, re post 170, do you mean continue on as normal here on the forum or more in life in general?

To me Butch Ballow will always be the proverbial, and iconic, Norman Rockwell portrayal of the "All American Treeman".

And though 2,000 miles apart, in the latter 1960's, Butch and I learned from the same old school ideology. A period transcending cross-cut saws and axes. A time when a hank of manila rope, some grit and work ethic, a pick-up truck, and a Homelite XL12 chainsaw, anyone could become a tree business across the U.S. of A. God bless America!

In my eyes Butch Ballow stands as the icon. I stand on his shirt tails.

Don Blair, in his 1999 book, "Arborist Equipment." attempted to define the virtues distinguishing old and new school ideologies, as the "Oakman / Eucman" paradox. There's been no better definition or portrayal since.

Us ol' timers are getting far and few between. Al and Jomoco can relate to that. God bless the old school Treeman. Without us to teach them the new school would still be making the same mistakes today..

Thank you!

I learned at the base of trees, working under local giants in residential and estate tree care. Still have my Homelite XL12, hank of Manila rope, original D-ring saddle, and 20” Fanno saw hanging in the shed.
That Homelite was 10 years old when I got it in 1975 for $50, rebuilt twice already, but those 3.3 cu inches were mean to trees, and it ran better than the McCulloch (iirc it was a 1-10 or 2-10) it was replacing. I might still have that in a box somewhere, too. Figured I’d restore them in my retirement.

How did you take all the non anti-vibe saws for all those years.

I ran one for about 6 months and it was...not enjoyable

Rereading this thread, its a good'un.

Fwiw here's a link to a thread mentioned on p. 1, its very "MB"

I'm 62 now, and muscle cramps are my biggest beef now.

In my younger years muscle cramps in my arms after running too many ropes aloft would end my day early, teaching me to let my ropeman do most the hoisting as possible.

But now at 62, it's taking my Wesco's off at the end of the day,, that pulls my calf muscles the opposite direction that causes severe agonizing cramps in my calf muscles, that can only be relieved by standing on the affected leg, stretching it back out the other way, that makes it go away, thankfully.

Probably a hilarious dance to witness firsthand!

Just bought some dried banana chips to get some potassium in me, without the acid reflux of raw banana protein shakes.

Gettin old ain't easy I guess.......

Jomo

I’ve been told I have two hand joints that need replacing; osteopathic surgeon said no more injections. The non-vibe saws stayed with you well into the night some days. Couldn’t feel in the tips of fingers on left hand after a long day.

I'm thankful for heated handles on saws.
Would have a hard time working in winter without.

I think I have it a little bit. Not from running saws. Maybe just damage from when it used to get cold here.

Back