Masterblaster aka Butch Ballowe III

No I don't feel better, I just feel like somebody had to cut through the " Oh, he was such a wonderful person" bullshit.
This place is what it is because of us, the members.
Not because of a dead redneck asshole.

I just feel like somebody had to cut through the " Oh, he was such a wonderful person" bullshit.
This place is what it is because of us, the members.
Not because of a dead redneck asshole.

Nah, imo.

Sure the members are the meat of the operation but he definitely, fairly gently, guided the flow of the forum. He wasn't always right but overall he guided it well.

We all have flaws. Hell of a place he made for us. He had a lot of insight. Remember when Gerry's cop friend wanted to join and he finally let him? I can relate to his view. He picked my avatar and it is a match of pictures of several old white oaks around here that I stopped on the road and took pictures of. I could not believe it. Spooky almost. The only trees I stopped to take pics of.

I know I didn't get along with Butch all that well, really. We saw a lot of things differently. I let him know it, fairly gently I hope...and he let me know it right back the same. From time to time, I suspect he was a bit peeved at me. Maybe more than a bit :).

But if for no other reason, I give him respect for creating this place, and keeping it going for a very long time, on the scale of this sort of internet thing.

He's passed on now, and there is no benefit to anyone in rehashing old conflicts. It's better to remember the good times...let the less good melt away and be forgiven and forgotten.

i remember Butch showing up at AS and TB and was just good'ole boy some always seemed to have problems with, sometimes seemed cuz was too friendly?? Came in too familiar like wow finally found my peoples, and was kinda told no you din't yo...
This place came about from him being banned etc. which i could never understand. Seemed he wasn't only one banned at time, thar was a list of 'boys in the banned' in some kinda power game. But always thought the others asked for it a bit, some over Butch I think, badge of courage and defiance, it was a long time ago...
He announced he had this software his buddy Doc was going to come over and install and this non space was born; like wow this redneck really got right up there and did it, just like he said....
Couldn't get sponsors like blackballed for years. But still the membership grew; and a certain staunch, non glitzy type seemed to stick most. This seemed to fuel, not cool external fires.
Still especially AS, bad blood making fun of him and forum.
They always made fun of his food posts there, then a forum section here on food, yet now have one of their own on food... In fact food, openness, friendliness seemed to make them think he wasn't hard enough treeman or something, not sure , like I said could never figure it out, and even asked several times WTF.
For YEARS after he was thrown out the threads he started, like What'dja do today etc. were 7 out of the top 10 in the forum history over yonder!!!! Sounds like a real bad guy???? i know, cuz i was the lil' smart azz presenting the screenshots of sort by reads and then replies as we talked. And really some of those threads, like the one named only seemed to be overtaken by being removed or taken over/rebranded under another post-er like changing history by removing evidence of an unfillable footprint otherwise. This went on for years of BS , and tho he banned a very few here really; it was nothing compared to what he endured, and was far more tolerant than was treated; and stood up for far more people also.
No one's perfect, and he is not one that ever claimed to be.
Quoting a previous post became a way to yank his chain.
>> we pulled some other chit too, like Editting own posts making it look like he made comments as admin cuz he did that to some one's post.... etc. That really seemed to catch him off balance..
i started at ISA around 95 running into Tom Dunlap and Mark Chisholm etc. when it was called a BBS not forum, there were some foreign forums visited, at least 1 started here and he allowed other forum to be linked from here when that type thing was super no-no in reigning forums. Not seen another forum been given a harder way to go. He was most open to any of the tree brethren to come to his small forum.. He gave more than he got or even asked for. Not sure what more else should ask for from another.
To tell it any other way would be untrue, disrespectful and ungrateful.

I couldn't stand him.
Stupid redneck motherfucker who had no idea of the World outside his hometown.
Yet he kept going into discussions about World politics that he had absolutely no back ground for.

"Dissing 'Merica" rah.......rah........rah.......!

Not to mention banning people left and right because he didn't like the color of their hair or something.
Ask Brian or Erik about that.

Now he is dead, and has suddenly turned into the Treehouse god.

Spare me, please.

Carl, just go ahead and ban me, I've about had it with this.
It turns out that everything is even much worse than I thought. We don't make fun of sick people. That's why I won't say anything.

Back