Log Arch

lxskllr

Treehouser
Somewhat connected to my other thread, I've been thinking about getting a log arch. The two contenders are the TimberTuff(imported) from TSC...

Or the Logrite Junior...

I'd prefer the Logrite Buck, but >$1k, it's more than I want to spend at this time. The TimberTuff has slightly higher Chinese specs(can you really rely on them?), and the Logrite name speaks for itself, but it has a slightly smaller capacity, which is what I'm balking at. I'm not concerned about the $230 extra(adding extension handle) for an American product.

It would be useful on the particular job I'm working on, and I think I'll have further use for one instead of carrying/dragging logs everywhere. My immediate logs are too big for either arch, but I could rip them down the middle, and cart them out extra long.

Opinions?

I love my homemade one, i use it for moving all sorts of things that i don't want to lift. I also designed mine to use a grab hook to attach stuff to it, so i can use it for more stuff than just log tongs. I built mine to go through a gate, if i build another it will be much much bigger and designed to use either a machine or a winch to move huge wood to my loader/trailer. Honestly it's about the easiest welding project you can come up with, and really fills the gap between hand grunt work and a mini and the big ones can make a smaller machine move huge weights they could never come close to moving before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I have my answer. Logrite has this video posted on their site...

It's not a direct comparison of the products I'm interested in, but it reflects my experience with Chinese tools. Kinda works if you're lucky, but with a bunch of little failures til you finally get tired of it, and either weld it up yourself like Kyle, or buy what you should have bought in the first place. Gonna think it over. There's a company not far from me that sells Logrite stuff. I'll likely contact them for a quote. It would save me from having to pay the likely high shipping costs to my house.

Use the search function here, lots of log arch stuff. The logrite stuff has a good reputation, but it has far too many curved surfaces for me. All that means to me is pointless expensive fabrication techniques, especially considering they are using c channel. You end up paying far more for stuff that adds zero value to it's use. Boxy simple structures are easier and cheaper to build, and while a huge production run such as a car can hide that kind of tooling costs, something like a log arch is going to be many times more expensive just because they designed in curved structure on a damn cad program trying to be cool. There's only maybe 200 bucks in material in one of those, and most of that is tires and tongs.

Back