Living in MA questions

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
I have some questions for those of you who live in MA. Around June of next year I'll be moving up to MA to establish in state residence. After I do that, I plan on enrolling in Stockbridge for their arboriculture program.

Anyways, I'm hyped about moving up there, but Mom has many reservations about it. She likes to know it all in advance, have all her ducks in a row, where as Dad and I like the prospect of the unknown and traveling to new places. So I'm trying to gather some info to try and calm Mom's nerves a bit.

I'm looking into various job options right now, but I'm looking for info on things like:

The average cost of living
Minimum wage
Where to look for an apartment
etc

If anyone on here knows of any good sites or has any personal knowledge of anything I should know feel free to post it.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Post Extras:      

Tell your mom that you can starve to death in a gutter in MA just as easily as in Lexington. It's rough when you're at the age where you want to start experiencing your independence but momma doesn't want to let you leave the nest. I avoided all that by moving out at 16.

If you intend to live close to campus, it's gonna be much more expensive than living 20 or so minutes away. Ware is kind of a toilet, but the rent is much cheaper, say $450-$500 a month for a bachelor pad. Belchertown is a little closer, but it'll cost you more, too.

Minimum wage is federally mandated.

Sales tax is 6.25%; clothing and unprepared food are exempt.

Western mass (where umass amherst is located) is going to be much cheaper than the eastern half of the state. Stay away from Springfield and Holyoke, they are minority and crime ridden dumps.
Look into trying to get in on a lease with other students, even better if they are Stockbridge students.Almost all of the communities within 30 minutes of campus are pleasant places.

Adrian, do you plan on doing tree work while you're up here? Or were you looking for other forms of work?

I was thinking the cabin will be empty soon, as we're moving back into the house once the bathroom is back together. I'd have to give it some thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hoping to do tree work Erik. I've contacted Jim at Mayer Tree and we're going to meet up when i go up there next week. But I'm open to doing other jobs if avaiable.

Absolutely; Mayer's yard is about 2-1/2 hours from Amherst. Jim's good people; maybe we can all keep ya busy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Depends on where I can get a job. If the Mayer Tree thing is something solid, then I'd probably live somewhere around them.

Keep in mind that area will have the highest cost of living in the state.It better be a really good job.

Colorado's is $7.24, Minnesota's for small employeers is $5.25, Arkansas's is $6.25, and Puerto Rico's is $4.10!

I thought $8.25 was the US Dept of Labor standard? Oh well... maybe it is a state thing.

No matter. I won't get out of bed for that, anyhow.

My first job was $2.85 per hour. The minimum in Florida was $3.15 for workers 16 years old and older, but I was only 15 so the minimum was lower. I have no clue what the minimum is now.

Federally mandated minimum wages.
Sounds like something a bunch of commies would come up with;)

Back