Just got my cards!!

• Thread starter dandandatreeman
  • Start date
  • Replies 58
  • Views 5K
I understand what you mean, Butch, but for a large part of our typical customer base they are used to hiring 'climbers' who show up without any gear or saws. The local small tree companies are used to hiring climbers who show up without enough gear to climb a tree so setting yourself apart as well equipped can make a difference.

Overall I like the card layout and design though. :thumbup:

Over all it does look good.

Brian, I don't really hire free lance climbers, but it surprises me that one would climb without his own gear. When we hire a climber to be on our crew and he is not comfortable with what we offer in terms of "gear", generally we will supply him. I figure his life depends on it.

I'm off the less is better school myself. If you want to inform the potential customer, make a brochure and a website.

my opinion ... current batch is fine for now ... my competition here uses the phrase "we have the equipment and expertise to safely prune or remove trees on your property " ... If you think you are excited now about the cards , just wait till you trade that mini-van for a Pick-up truck !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
my opinion ... current batch is fine for now ... my competition here uses the phrase "we have the equipment and expertise to safely prune or remove trees on your property " ... If you think you are excited now about the cards , just wait till you trade that mini-van for a Pick-up truck !
I have a 2500 4x4 dodge cummins that is broke down, and will be fixed after income taxes. (knock on wood!)
I wish I would have got more input from ya'll before I ordered these. I am going to utilize this tool more often.

If you did not know Vharrison there are over 100 tree services in the phone book, so I wanted to start out Sub-Contrating to them insted of trying to fight them.

I am going to simplify my next cards and hopefully have some more certifications to add by then.

Nice cards there Willie!!!!

I've never been a big believer in using business cards as advertising. In almost all cases, by the time they ask you for a card they have already decided if they want to hire you. Actions speak louder than words, the card is just for contact information. Trying to use up the space on a card with additional sales pitch is a waste IMO.

Same with voice mail greetings. If I'm calling somebody and they don't answer the phone, I don't want to sit through a 45 second sales pitch in order to leave a message. One guy I work for had his wife do his voice mail greeting and it was awful, I would hang up rather than wait to leave a message. Finally she did it over and shaved about 20 seconds off it, much better. I'm already calling, no need to keep selling at that point.

I do the home shows here so a little extra info is good IMO as folks getting my cards are also getting cards from many different vendors. I have made a couple changes over the years to find whats right for me. CCB requires my CCB number to be on my advertising, contracts etc and in order to put my ISA cert on there I need my name and cert number too. I think all of us should show our cards again, it's been awhile and it helps when others can see them to know what they like and plan their own cards

Dan, a great start. Good feedback for you to implement. I doubt a 4x4 gets your gear to jobs any better than a big truck. Sure a truck looks more tree-guy-esque, but your work will prove you skills. You're not being hired to haul. Anybody can buy a truck. Blinky was, or is rolling in a sedan, I think, with contracted hauling. My life got a lot easier using a hired grapple truck for disposal and log hauling when I was without my chipper and dump truck. A van would have worked fine. Just be careful about loose things in the van in the event of and accident, and gas in the passenger compartment. A woman in Reno blew out all her windows when she was lighting a smoke. I imagine that there must have been some bad vapors. The biggest danger with gas in the passenger compartment is in an accident.

Willie, nice card. Good idea on people showing their cards for everyone to benefit.

I've had people ask me what "cab-ling" (like taxi cab). I'm going to print my next round with tree preservation services, or some such thing

Where did you get those?

I always get referrals and call backs, so I must be doing something right.

I've been told to give out cards like water. I've also heard that people might feel awkward if you give too many. I will often give 2-4, maybe 5 if they already have neighbors wanting them.

That blew through here this morning. It woke me up at around 3 or 4 am.

.. Dan I was really only kidding about the ride ... truth be told I've done much work out my Subaru ... about the sub-in angle for the work I have tried this awhile back ... I think it's the big operators here are probably uptight in a somewhat seasonal market (or just jerks) , found little there ... It should work out , but didn't for me so keep posting on that as well ... Dave

no biggie. i was thinking of my daughters little jingle that she sings"dan dan the tree man driving in the mini van." she is a little bugger. i will keep posting results. this may just turn out for me to be my own tree service. i have no idea really, i am just putting it out there and seeing what happens.
I would not mind having a awd subaru!

My buddy Carl Craig calls his biz Craig Co. It looks like this on his card;

Craig Company
Complete Tree Care
phone number

That, plus a cool tree that looks like a letter in kanji. Zen city.

so Willie, are you the owner or "manager"...;) and it says PUNK nowhere on the card....?:P

Back