Is There a Use Case For Using Split Suspension Ds Individually?

What you use now, Rich?
I’m using a monkey beaver now. Lawrence Shultz let me fly his for a minute at a class I took that he was also in. I was in an onyx before that. Empire and edge saddles prior to that. Those old weaver saddles were tough as hell but not very comfortable.
I also have a sequoia in my garage that I need to try out. I acquired it from a friend that decided that working on RR cars was a better fit for a man of his age.

I was reviewing wesspur's saddle selection, and was looking at the one I had, and noticed this in the description...

"Economical choice for use with split tail system"

That implies you could have the anchor on one D, and the hitch on the other in a MRS setup. That's something I've considered since I've had the saddle, but never tried it. Seemed like things could get wonky if the system were aligned less than perfectly. I've always used the Ds together with one or more biners to mount the climb system. Am I doing it wrong?
I don’t want to beat a dead horse, John, since you have been flying that Onyx since January, it’s moot for you. Also since Treehousers way more knowledgeable than me have already said this is not a good idea. I just wanted to clarify something for future new climbers. The Wesspur website and catalog still says: “Economical choice for use with split tail system" I don’t think Wesspur meant that the two suspension Ds should be used separately. They were just saying if you want an old school system like a split tail (or a traditional system, for that matter) this is an economical saddle. This illustration from Jeff Jepsons knot book might muddy the waters since it does not depict a 4 D harness. I bet if Brian Kotwica drew this for a 4 D he would have both carabiners through both Ds.
625450D3-AC11-4F2D-9EE3-F89CAA5600D8.jpeg

Back