Is There a Use Case For Using Split Suspension Ds Individually?

lxskllr

Treehouser
I was reviewing wesspur's saddle selection, and was looking at the one I had, and noticed this in the description...

"Economical choice for use with split tail system"

That implies you could have the anchor on one D, and the hitch on the other in a MRS setup. That's something I've considered since I've had the saddle, but never tried it. Seemed like things could get wonky if the system were aligned less than perfectly. I've always used the Ds together with one or more biners to mount the climb system. Am I doing it wrong?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's why I haven't tried it! Seems like it could get pretty bad in rare, but non zero circumstances. I should try it on a straightforward easy climb some time, and see how it reacts.

I use a 2-D saddle. Seldom used the Ds though. I clip into a carabiner with a roller. Use the Ds occasionally for a second point to clip my lanyard.

How do you avoid the Ds Scott? What's your biner/roller mounted to?

When someone refers to the D's I automatically think they mean the side D's, as opppsed to any D or a bridge.
Side D's are for positioning not suspension.
D's on a bridge, different matter.

This is the one I have. Two Ds up front, and two on the side...

sad102.jpg

I love this saddle. Super comfortable.

I climbed on a Weaver version of that for years, except it didn’t have the leg straps. If you like that one, you’ll love the floating-D style. Far more freedom of movement. Actually went from the butt strap version to this before swapping to floating D. 84D867CA-D6DB-4B28-86E7-9EBC83CBA5DC.jpeg

An image search shows a quick link type thing; non rated. I don't really have a problem with the Ds. They work fine. If I knew what I know now, I might have gotten the floating bridge setup like Scott showed, but I don't really have too many complaints about my setup.

Also carabiners tend to flop around when loaded/ unloaded On a 4 d saddle. When I used one it was constantly rotating to side load.

Back