I second that Treemotion

I saw a brief vid of August sewing up saddle parts, perhaps he makes the entire saddle now. Originally MB saddle was via New Tribe iirc

Yea, MB makes them in house now. Or they contract someone to. I don't know the fine details.

I saw a brief vid of August sewing up saddle parts, perhaps he makes the entire saddle now. Originally MB saddle was via New Tribe iirc
If that's the same I saw, it was a one shot for a custom model, so, same as a prototype. I heard nothing in this vid or others about the regular product. Or i missed it (wouldn't surprise me)).

If that's your dream saddle, I absolutely would. Worst case scenario is you lost a few hundred dollars as you're laying on your death bed with a brand new saddle you never used. I'm not seeing the downside.

edit:
Wesspur shows in stock @ $540, and if you order before January(I think) you'll get a $100 gift code for future purchase.

Last edited:
Someone out there no doubt has one sitting around with virtually no use, willing to sell. Just gotta find him :rockhard:

Weaver Cougar was one of the comfiest saddles Ive had. Nice harness for the money. I had the suspenders for it. Eventually replaced the bridge with rope and a bat plate for extra connectivity. Wore out the stock bridge first.
Tad heavier than what I have now, but fit the bill with my nohipitis and noassitol issues.

!! I see WesSpur , Bartlett, Tree stuff has NT Onyx saddle still in Stock !!! Thanks God Ive got Onyx just in time with NT yella mini grappling hook !! (y)
I'm glad you found availability but you those chits aint cheap!

Is the onyx that much better than the cougar?

$250 bucks is nothing though over its life span if it is really that good

The Onyx is like an easychair on rope. Comparing to my fall arrest harness which is basically a modern non premium saddle like the cougar, it's absolutely worth $200 more for professional daily use. Maybe the cougar is better than it looks, but the onyx is hard to beat for comfort.

Could use more attachment points for gear. Bigger rigging plates for the bridge would be nice, so there's an easy option for a second bridge. It's not something i've felt I've needed, but that's basically a free option, so someone could add another bridge if they chose to. After seeing Mike's treemotion up close, I really appreciate the versatility of it's build. I still think it looks kind of plasticky, but it's got virtually limitless options for carrying gear.

I preferred the Cougar over the Onyx.
Saddles are a personal thing. One body type may work well for one, but not the other. And a single strap type suspender does not cut it with a heavier saw for me.
3-4 points of connection over both shoulders is required for my type of work.
Bigger saws aloft with no hips or ass need more support on the shoulders.

I'm glad you found availability but you those chits aint cheap!

Is the onyx that much better than the cougar?

$250 bucks is nothing though over its life span if it is really that good
Once it discontinued I'd sell my Onyx for $3000. Brand New . LoL 🤣😉👍

Last edited:
Sad to hear New Tribe is scaling back. I wondered back when they quit making their Tree Boat - it was the best for camping aloft. I have five saddles (recently gave two away). The Onyx just fits me correctly. No junk-squeeze, no sore hips, comfy as a chair, and sufficient attachment points for my needs. I run two rope bridges.
Just ordered a replacement as I only work part-time now and Rec climb. Got a size 2 so I can use it over my polar Carhartt arctic winter-wear. 3CDB307C-0B1A-445B-9272-0DF32B5B9BF0.jpeg

0F4DB9B0-D859-49BD-BA62-D3364F50C954.jpeg

That's different than mine Pat...

IMG_20230102_104734852.jpg

You could run a bridge through one of the holes carrying a leg loop, but I'd be leery of textile-textile abrasion. Maybe lose the forward Ds, and run a bridge there, but I'm not crazy about that either.

That's different than mine Pat...

View attachment 125867

You could run a bridge through one of the holes carrying a leg loop, but I'd be leery of textile-textile abrasion. Maybe lose the forward Ds, and run a bridge there, but I'm not crazy about that either.
You can replace your bat plates, as I did.

I guess I could flip my plates around also. It would lose the forward Ds. I guess I need more time with it. I used the forward Ds first time yesterday. I didn't think it was as amazing as some do, but it was alright. I'm also not sure about a second bridge. Again, yesterday I had two systems on the bridge, and it was a little crowded. I think that could be corrected with better placement of hardware, but I need more time with it.

Back