I like this pic!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The way you have your lanyard "secured," dunno 'bout dat...

I remember we discussed this.

And you can shift/move around w/o it coming loose?

Do you still use it? I was never shown that, I'm sure I'd have done it.

I have only used that a couple of times myself. With a steel core safety it worked very well. No problems at all....But again I never made it a practice of mine.

I stopped using it when I switched to a saddle with smaller dee rings. I never had a problem with it.

The way you have your lanyard "secured," dunno 'bout dat...

I remember we discussed this.

It's called a 'cats paw' you youngster!
Of course it only has been used for about 100 years or so... so it might not be safe :D

I learned on a 3/4" manila cable core flip line and thats how you tie them. Back then I also one handed a rear handle 020..ahhh those were the days. Poor pay, long hours, rude alcoholic bosses and big wood.

I had never ran a chainsaw or a bucket truck, but because the foreman was a buddy, I was in a Hi-Ranger chopping away with a hydraulic pole saw my first day.

Ha! :drink:

A lot of guys used that hitch when I started climbing trees for the FS (some still used 3-strand "gold-braid" in those days), they would lay over limbs by uncliping, holding on one-hand, flip, reclip. I felt safer with two lanyards for laying over till I freeclimbed.
Guess we all seem to have survived.

You ain't got nothin' on me and my gut Darin! Hell, you're lean and mean in my book.

By no means in the world am I any kind of an expert, but I learned on steel core manilla, and used the cat's paw. I think I saw it in Jerry's book, but can't remember where exactly. Heck, I think I might have first seen it in Darin's picture on this site.

It'll lock down so much you've got to wrestle it loose.

I learned on a 3/4" manila cable core flip line and thats how you tie them. Back then I also one handed a rear handle 020..ahhh those were the days. Poor pay, long hours, rude alcoholic bosses and big wood.

Yup, sounds like the dark ages of arboriculture.

jp:D

I was taught on the catspaw also. My teacher called it the flip-line hitch. I had a 3/4" flip line so it filled the D-ring up pretty well. A rope grab thingie is a lot easier to work.

Skwerl... it's a 4x5 view camera... you almost never see the ones on monorails like that outside of a studio... I used to shoot ads for a living.

I've got a trampoline shot to add...

101_Barnhill_Assessment_05-08-07_018.jpg

Three kids were on it when a tuliptree snapped about 20' up and fell on it. No physical injuries but acute arborphobia ensued.

Back