hybrid hunting/tree work saddle--is there such a thing?

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

In a perfect world, I'd love to find a saddle that could do two primary things: hunting and rec. climbing/pruning.

Not sure that such a beast even exists, but after this experience--which was very cool despite being very painful--I know that a 2006 Trophyline Stealth Saddle is most certainly NOT it! :O

Any recommendations? The New Tribe Aero Hunter Evolution looks much better than my old SS, but I don't know how good it would be for tree work...?

Open to any suggestions.

Jeff

Jeff I do a lot of climbing and hunting in a saddle, both DdRT and SRT using ascenders and the Hitch Hiker. I use a Buckingham Viking for that, sans anything that could clank or rattle. When hunting out of the big spreading live oaks we have here, saddle and rope is the only way to go for me. It's an extremely portable and stealthy way to hunt not to mention the ease and safety it affords when hanging lock on style stands, climbing sticks or feeders. Another bonus is, at the end of your hunt, rappelling out of the tree is not only easier than climbing down, but more fun too. I haven't tried the Evolution, but have heard it is extremely comfy. By the way, there is a hunting thread in the Rec Room forum, feel free to post your hunting pics and stories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very cool, Ray! Thanks for the reply. Just so I'm clear, do you hunt suspended in your Viking, or do you use it as a fall arrest system in a conventional stand?

BTW, the Viking (or the BuckCat clone TS carries) is on my shortlist. Did you do the Liger mod to yours? The Rebellion, which is the factory-Ligered model, is another one I want to check out.

The two B-ham models are 1.3 & 1.4 pounds heavier than the Aero Hunter Evo, but I have ZERO idea what that means in the tree! :lol:

New tribe has a hunting saddle, the AeroHunter I believe? My Tree Fox from New Tribe is quiet and comfortable as well. It has a fabric cover over the delta link to help keep the attachment point quiet.

Thanks, flashover. I will definitely be giving the Tree Fox a try. Probably head-to-head (to-head?!) with the Aero Hunter and Buckingham BuckCat/Viking...

Love my new tribe hunting saddle. I guess it'd be fine for rec use. Maybe light tree work on occasion. If you're going to do much of both I'd get 2 saddles

Very cool, Ray! Thanks for the reply. Just so I'm clear, do you hunt suspended in your Viking, or do you use it as a fall arrest system in a conventional stand?
BTW, the Viking (or the BuckCat clone TS carries) is on my shortlist. Did you do the Liger mod to yours? The Rebellion, which is the factory-Ligered model, is another one I want to check out.
The two B-ham models are 1.3 & 1.4 pounds heavier than the Aero Hunter Evo, but I have ZERO idea what that means in the tree! :lol:
I rarely fully suspend when hunting Jeff. I like at least a foot rest to steady me for a shot. If you're carrying it several miles it might make a difference but that weight means nothing when you're semi-suspended on your climbing line. I did not Ligerize mine, just more hardware to rattle. If I was going to purchase a saddle mainly for hunting, I'd probably look hard at the Evolution, it has really good reviews on the bowhunting sites.

just an update

Hi, guys:

Made a very helpful trip to Treestuff today to try saddles on. Nick was a huge help!

Stock was low on the New Tribe saddles. No Tree Fox in stock. No Tengu either. I did try on the Aero Hunter Evolution and liked it. Very comfy and VERY adjustable; I bet I could get it dialed in really well. My only reservation was there was a LOT of it! I felt like I had quite the contraption on, but it was more a question of necessary complication (all the adjustable straps) than bulk. At 5,7" 160 the Size 2 is too big. There's a special strap, secondary to the waist belt, that prevents the seat from sliding up. I had that at the stop, and it still wasn't tight.

In terms of bulk, maybe it's my rock climbing background, but the more traditional tree saddles like the Buckingham BuckCat, Weaver Cougar, and Buckingham Rebellion all felt massive and clunky. For a second, I thought I was this guy:

Ultimo_Drago_-_Yoshihiro_Asai_08.jpg

What I really did like was something not even on my radar: the Singing Rock Timber II
This was my other favorite along with the Hunter Evo. It's minimalist, but surprisingly comfy. It's a got a rope/webbing bridge with a ring at a reasonable price. Czech-made and definitely translated to English on the website. For instance, I'm pretty psyched that it "fits man anatomy." :lol:

I'll go back when the Tree Fox and Tengu are in and see how they stack up to the Hunter Evo and the Timber II.

Getting closer...

You could do far worse than with Singing Rock products. My wife climbs in one. It's pretty minimalist, but suits her style perfectly.

I'd be in big trouble if I was in driving distance to tree stuff!!
Not to mention broke!!!!:|:

It's actually on my way home from work, sawman! :O

Living with the "Candy Castle" so close, I am in a state of constant temptation! :evil:

Hi, all:

In a perfect world, I'd love to find a saddle that could do two primary things: hunting and rec. climbing/pruning.

Not sure that such a beast even exists, but after this experience--which was very cool despite being very painful--I know that a 2006 Trophyline Stealth Saddle is most certainly NOT it! :O

Any recommendations? The New Tribe Aero Hunter Evolution looks much better than my old SS, but I don't know how good it would be for tree work...?

Open to any suggestions.

Jeff

OK, I do not own the saddle I'm about to suggest that you take a look at, and I've never had the opportunity to try it on, either. You may not be interested in it purely because of its price point. The reason I'm suggesting that you take a look at it is because everything I've seen written about it gives the impression that the people who use it are just in love with it.

Here's a link to the saddle, which is sold by TreeStuff. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=10&item=15086

It would be cool if TreeStuff actually had one in stock to try on, and since you are so close, what do you have to lose by stopping by? Other than a bunch of dollars out of your wallet due to buying up a bunch more climbing bits and pieces, I mean.

I swear if I lived that close to a TreeStuff store, I'd be like a junkie on the street corner.

I hope you might get a chance to try it out, and to give us all some feedback on it. I hope you find a saddle that makes you happy.

Tim

Thanks so much for the suggestion and kind wishes, Tim!

I AM aware of the MCRS and have watched the on-line interviews with Matt about his cooperation with Treestuff to move it from prototype to production. VERY cool.

You are right that people turn cartwheels about it. You are also right that it is out of my price range. In fact, I decided not to try it on, because I might wind up selling an organ or a child to get it! :lol:

I guess if I were trying to justify the purchase, two or three things would come to mind. First is having a saddle that you are going to feel comfortable in for hours at a time, and most likely for days in a row. If you end up in a saddle that's not comfortable, it will feel like false economy. The second thing is that (from what I've read) every part of the saddle is able to be replaced by the user, which could extend its lifespan almost indefinately. I don't know how expensive the parts are, though. The third thing is that you might only need a new saddle after five years or so, so the actual cost gets spread out over a long period of time.

I know what you mean, though, about not wanting to sell off any organs, especially not your own. Hey, now that I think of it, you may be on to something. We could call it "The TreeStuff Organ Donor Program". To help out those in need.... of climbing and rigging gear. It sounds catchy to me.

Good luck with whatever you choose to purchase.

Tim

:thumbup:

Tim, you make some pretty strong arguments when it comes to long-term vs. short-term economy; in fact, you may have me convinced. Do you mind trying to convince my wife now? :lol:

As for the "TSODP" idea, I do have an appendix that could start us off. Not sure they are in high demand though...:(

mission accomplished...finally!

Hi, all:

I want to close the loop on this thread in the hopes that the final outcome might be helpful to others AND because the "winner" was a saddle not really on my radar screen. (I also hate forum "question threads" that peter out with no resolution!)

The winner was the New Tribe Champion. Thanks to Sophia at NT for suggesting I try it out. Thanks to counterman, Phil, at Treestuff for bringing me what must have seemed to him like "one of everything."

More here.

Back