How often do you change the tubing on your Big Shot?

I have one that is probably 25 years old, haven't used it but a few times in the last 16 years. I changed the tubing once after the original got a cut in it and I was worried about it breaking. It took me 20 minutes to carve the old rubber off the frame with a razor knife. The new rubber wasn't bad to put on. Just lube it up with some water with a few drops of dish detergent in it and let it dry for a day before using it.

As a side note, it was only 3-4 years old when I changed the rubber but I hated the new pouch! The original pouch was much better. With the new one the throw bag falls out before you can shoot it half the time.

I have always stored my big shot head in a 3 gallon drywall mud bucket with my throwline to protect the rubber from getting knicked. Where else can you put it on a tree truck where it isn't exposed to sharp edges?

Razor knife the old band off, as stated above. Lube up and install new band, taking care to keep the pouch centered when both sides are relaxed. Many lubricants are suitable, including the "bedroom" variety, i.e water based, which is kind of ideal for synthetic or natural rubber. A little dab will do ya.

That said, here's the Young Buck's big shot...
20240612_104304.jpg
Imagine how deep those cracks are at full stretch, the whole band is like this. I'll try to remember to get a picture of it the next time we make a shot. It seriously sketches me out man.

I'd hate to have it break and hit me.

Rubbing alcohol might make a good lube since it is strangely slippery, but dries very fast. 91% would be better than the common 70% so less water is left over and it dries faster.

I'd hate to have it break and hit me.

Rubbing alcohol might make a good lube since it is strangely slippery, but dries very fast. 91% would be better than the common 70% so less water is left over and it dries faster.
You would never get it on quick enough. Water with some dish detergent is what is recommended and it works. Still takes a bit of effort to get it into position. Once it stops moving you're screwed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saw the compressed air trick on a Treestuff video. I tried it and did not work. I thought I was doing something wrong until I used a utility knife to remove the band. The ends of the head were welded shut!

I replaced it once in 15 years, due to a small V shaped dent due to a combination of impatience and a pole saw in my car. A possible break at full stretch wasn't very appealing. The forked head was made by me, but the rubber is the genuine part. I used some basic shampoo as a lubricant, no water added. It didn't move one bit since.
Push the rubber tube rather than pulling it. Pushing makes the hole biger, so it moves easier. Pulling reduces it noticeably and lock the tube in place.
If you have some difficulty to drive it home, make a compression wave just at the beginning of the steel rod and push it gradually toward the rubber's end. Each time, it progress a little further, like finishing a splice on a braided line. I did that the first time because I didn't use a lubricant, being afraid of it staying slippery afterward. The replacement, with the shampoo this time, was way easier. LOL.

Back