How cold for a boom?

I was thinking about this the other day. It was below zero when we started and I heard a wierd sound inside the boom. I think it was the hydro lines were frozen and we're sticking to something and then became unstuck. I don't really know for sure though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That happens all the time with my boom. Usually first time near vertical or overcenter. It's unnerving to say the least. But that's exactly what it is. The lines are frozen to the part of the boom they've been lying on all night and then break free. We're slated to reach about -4f or so here this week. Miserable to say the least.

If I recall from the manual correctly I would never reach the lower limit. Different juice is used for extreme cold. I'm not interested in the rules. I'm interested in what other real world users have found. Ime the cold causes things to break.

Hey, I was just bustin on ya Boss.
It was 10 where I was yesterday. That is plenty cold for me. I don't have a lift, so I couldn't say myself. I would be worried the frozen line may be stronger than an older fitting.

Exactly the kind of stuff I worry about. I broke my rotation gear last year at about 0f. Has made me a little gun shy. I remember from logging the cold always brought out the weak points.

I haven't had any problems working in the cold, just let it warm up before running it. Then again, I don't work if it is 0* out, the lowest would be above zero in the morning, warmer later in the day.

A somewhat different subject, but I know that they derate cranes lifting capacity when temperatures get down there, say that there is the potential for failure of hydraulic components, and also become more critical of shock loading the crane or rigging. Something I read said -5F was the beginning of when derating starts for critical lifts, like 25%. It gets way colder before much additional % derating applies. 40 degrees below is when they say to suspend all lifting activities. Again, referring to cranes. Squish, I'm thinking that when the temp is at a level where you need to be concerned, you aren't going to much want to be outside yourself.

Back