Helmet comms

You need them more than you think you do...you just don't realize it. Alex and I use them on all our jobs...even when visual and talking is possible. A few days ago we had 2 redirects to the truck so we could pull a tree. He was pulling 90 degrees to the intended fall...and was about 90 feet from me with thick woods between us. No way we could have properly communicated as we pulled that tree.

And yesterday he was able to subtly ask me a question that the customer didn't need to hear (was I spurring the support tree I had to be in to remove a broken top of another tree...I quietly replied I was trying not to spur it).

The hardest thing with Senas is pairing them...we are finally about to get that process figured out. Once you buy a set you will be sorry you did not buy them sooner.

The problem is loud environments; mainly construction sites. I don't know if the noise cancellation on a phone is good enough, especially when it has to be some distance from my face(hands free)...

Did you read what I said? You don't talk into a phone, you have ear buds in your ear covered by your ear protectors. No need to hold you phone, cause it is in your pocket and the mic is in the ear bud protected from the external noises.

I'm in the wish I'd got them sooner camp...love them. It's worth the money.
I have four sets...well three really because one is still in an ivy hedge where it fell two years ago... occasionally I have an extra person on the job
The Nick Bonner video is great to watch if you are pairing more than two...mine are the jog button style he shows.
Just watched Gary's video, good one!

That works? Sound attenuation is two way with typical ear protection. Doesn't having the mic under a muff muffle it too much?

OK, I'm guessing that you've never used ear buds with a phone? The speaker and the mic are combined. The mic picks up your voice from your ear canal.

I don't like anything on or over my ears. I only wear hearing protection so I don't go deaf, so I have almost no experience with phone headphones. That'll be great if that system will work. It would be perfect for my needs, and *cheap* :^)

Reactions: DMc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The speaker and the mic are combined. The mic picks up your voice from your ear canal.

I dint know that. Thats rather high tech :rockon:

I used Shoo Goo to glue the battery bracket onto the back of my Kask and the supplied Velcro to attach the R unit just below it. Works great and has held fast for several years.

...we really don't need one

Like Gary said, they’re super helpful and boost morale for us. Makes the day go by faster, increases efficiency, very little in the way of drawbacks. We put them on when we get in the work truck and pretty well leave them on all day. (SPH10)

Like this.
I had mine in the front inside the helmet. Only the blue tooth module on the outside rear. I did a way with that one though. Had too much trouble with the wires getting frigged. So all the other helmets got the SMH10 with the module that you can replace separately from the mount with the wires. Granted, can't readily replace the battery though. It's in the module. The mount kits are cheaper when the wires get frigged though. And you get the little mic you can seat inside the helmet with the kit. That gives you a boom as well should it get frigged. But the booms seem to always get frigged. On the groundies I have had anyway. They are so friggen rough on shat.

Like Gary said, they’re super helpful and boost morale for us. Makes the day go by faster, increases efficiency, very little in the way of drawbacks. We put them on when we get in the work truck and pretty well leave them on all day. (SPH10)
I am looking forward to them new toy and all.

Its a wonderful thing to just talk stuff through instead of raising ones voice or try to get hand signals across with limited visability. My production went up. Also, customers feel like they are watching this well oiled crew that works smooth and quiet
And then crane jobs. Man what a blessing.
That little headset Tree Stuff has works great for the crane op.

For sure it's a more professional look...and a lot of clients are impressed when they realize what's going on when my groundie is is talking to me away up top...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory give me about a week and I will have kask helmets all set up with coms all set up out of the box. 3 weeks ago I lent my helmets out to a budy doing a blind crane job and now he has to have a set. Ive got to sit down and tally the costs but it looks like they are going to run about $350 per helmet. The thing I love about them other than the ability to talk to my groundy like hes right next to me is when you are cleaning up or grinding stumps you can listen to music.

Price includes visor which IMO is required
Hi all. Bumping this thread cuz yeah I don’t think I can stand the shortcomings of Walkie talkies anymore. Teaching in a high noise environment is close to impossible. I
guess I need helmet comms with hi fidelity/noise attenuation and hi level hearing protection as good as a normal earmuff (approximately 30db sound reduction like in good Peltor muffs). And preferably for petzl hard hats which I currently use but if I have to go to Kask I would. This is a long, old thread so I’m bumping it for current best thoughts. Thank you.
@PCTREE

Yup. Installed mine on my Petzl and Kask. We've had up to 5 paired. Crane op gets the little headset. Or excavator op. They usually dont like helmets. I forget the model number. But it looks like this.
Screenshot_20220625-062203_Chrome.jpg

@cory, are you using a crosscut saw, too?

I bought one of those for my hired Crane Op. It paid for itself in saved crane fees the first day, to say nothing about the safety factor. They are investments, not expenses.

He left a chain binder. I walked into his shop unannounced at the end of the day. Without prefacing, he pulled his CC out, held it out to me, and asked me to sit down at his computer and get him 3.

Crosscut migh be a bit too modern for him...............stone axe, maybe.

The Senas rock.
Except when they suddenly decide to go " intercom bound, try again later" in the middle of a job.

No way would I work with a crane without being able to talk directly to the operator.

Back