Helmet for comms.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
Looking for a helmet to use with Sena comms. Most of my coworkers are using the Protos, but it's not really what I'm looking for when doing crane work. I've tried a Petzl, not sure which one, but it doesn't hold the muffs close enough, and doesn't sit on my head right. What are some options? Thanks.

My comms are in Petzl Vertex Vents with Husqy muffs and mesh for helmets and I have just a set 3m muffs for the crane op. Sena SMH 10’s. The Husqy muffs hold tight to my head, average sized melon I guess.

Kask is very popular, and a lot of construction companies around here have switched to them as the standard hard hat. No comms, but I like the Petzl Vertex Vent+Husky muffs. The muffs fit tight and have plenty of room, as opposed to the 3M muffs I first got with the helmet. They took some finagling to get them into proper position.

Is a kask worth 3xs the price of a petzl vent? Plus that martian look takes some getting used to

Another vote for Petzl vertex vent. I have 3M grey and hiviz green muffs. Lower profile. Sena Sm10's
I also have two Kask helmet set up as well regular black.and red 3m muffs for the help.
I personally find the Kask too hot in the summer and more fiddly to adjust.
Vertex vent has large openings and suspension not foam. Close the vents and add a beanie in the winter...good to go

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the one I'm using now is a Vent. I got the earmuffs to snap tighter, and they worked well today. Probably stay with it for now. Thanks.

I'm glad to hear that Pete. That's a definitive mark against the Kask. What attracted me to it is the lower profile. I read it was "a little warmer" than the Petzl, and I took it as being understated, but didn't know for certain. Hearing your opinion makes it an absolutely never purchase.

These comms are a pita to connect sometimes. I've watched a couple YouTubes, and I think I know less after watching them.

Call Arbsesson they walked me thru pairing all three comms and were happy to help. Like how treestuff was back in the day.

Ordering a Protos tomorrow. Arguments for or against Sena 10R or 10S? Thanks.

ive got 50S and 30K so I cant say on the 10 series
however, go through arbsession if possible, last helmet I ordered was on a wednesday, and I needed it monday, I called to make sure they had everything in stock and it was shipped within the hour!

great bunch of guys running that place

I can't recall if mine are R or S....but they are the ones that are fairly bulky and clip into the holder. I've lost one forever when it came unclipped (obviously wasn't seated properly) and fell into a wall of ivy, and the volume/bump knob is a bit prone to being bumped and disconnecting, but it's easy enough to reconnect.
Had them for about 6years now and will never look back!
If one model is more streamlined than the other, I'd go with that one.

Ordered Friday, came yesterday. A few minutes on adjustments and it was good to go. It's unlike anything I've ever worn before. If I'd known, I would have asked for one sooner.

I quit using my Protos as the ear muffs were sub-standard and went back to a Kask with full-sized ear protection. Have they improved noise attenuation in the newer ones?

It seems to be pretty good, but I think they are only rated 23 db. Not sure ever that falls on the scale.

Back