Hello everyone

Grendel

TreeHouser
I have been enjoying this forum to no end, and I just wanted to introduce myself.

No professional here, only aspiring. I got it in my head that I wanted to learn the rope side of tree work for myself two summers ago, when we had a new tree service crew come in and do a number of removals for us at work. I was drafted to pull brush. Watching their climber I was overwhelmed by the feeling that I should be doing that. I think tree work is an amazing skill set, and a wonderful craft.

I've been behind a saw for over ten years now, and I figured that if I could get comfortable with the ropes, I would be able to do our work related removals myself. Well, two years, thousands of dollars, and whole bunch of sweat later. I finally got the chance to do a large scale, close proximity removal all by my lonesome. :)

DSC03385.JPG

Sorry I don't have any in tree pics. I set a pulley for our rigging line, set my TIP all the way at the top, and we roped down almost all the branches, as this house has no less than four skylights targeted by this tree. It had taken me four hours when I dropped the barrel.

I love this stuff you guys. I promise I will be safe, and smart when I'm in the tree. And I promise I won't be a pain in the butt on this board.

PS. I've since done six more similar removals. :D

That DOES look like a tight area to work. Good on ya for getting that done safely. You are at a good place here to get knowledgeable and fair input to your questions. Ask away and someone will be able to help and elucidate. Thanks for showing your work.

Why just two years?

Late 1970's...take home pay of $537 per month didn't get it. Initially I was teaching on a "provisional" certificate...pay got better once I got my "T-4" full teaching certificate but not a whole lot better. Had to move on to better things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why just two years?

Well, this would be the second summer since I got the bug that I ought to be climbing trees, not just cutting them down. . . I spent a year in the woods teaching myself how to climb. . . with the help of this, and a few other boards, and of course, Jeff Jepson.

DSC03394.JPG

yup, that's my blood. . . :what:

ETA: weren't talking to me. . . lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup we want to see how you arrived at the solution, not just the solution. ha!

jp:D

I know. . . I wish I had pictures. I will take my camera up with me next time, promise. those first two, I probably wouldn't have remembered to use it even if I'd had it though, I was pretty focused on what I was doing up there.

Welcome Sam,
<= I'm Pat.

Where in the UP are you from? (I spent 17 summers doing seasonal work in the Lower Peninsula)

Focused on the job is the right way to do the job. We're not dissing you 'cause there's not more pictures...appreciate any you have to show. Stay focused and safe first. Pictures are gravy.

Back