Free tree work

Page

TreeHouser
Did a job last week in philly removing a Ailanthus tree to make room for a wheelchair ramp. A buddy called me up who is part of a non profit org. called vets for vets and asked me if I would do it. I of course said yes and just yesterday got a few pics of the job. I found out that before they asked me they had asked maybe 8 other tree co's and they all declined. obviously we can't always be doing work for free but I was surprised that I was the only one willing to help. any of you guys do volunteer work? 1.jpg 2.jpg 6.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 16.jpg 18.jpg 22.jpg 24.jpg 26.jpg 28.jpg

Great pics!

I do at least a full day for free every year, on purpose, and a few more by accident:|:

Good on you! No one's ever asked me but I'd have no problem giving up a day to help someone out. I've done a bunch of work for my friends, but I always make them feed me, which they don't mind.

You got the job because they needed a cowboy to do the work!! Good stuff. Good cause. Good karma.

And good pictures. # 4 and 5 of you in the tree are classics...when you decide to change your avatar you have good choices.

I do a fair bit of pro bono work. Does my heart good to help out. I have also noted that the more I do the more referrals I get. I can't say I planned it that way but it sure works for me.

Good on ya Page! :thumbup:
I donate to our local chimpanzee sanctuary, nature center, council on aging... There are a few more I can't remember... I started my company to do great tree care, support my family, and also give back to the place I live. It feels great to use your skills to help people in need!

1savagehunter, where ya been??? Welcome back!

Simply arbor, got any good chimp stories??

Oh just busting my butt trying to expand the business so haven't had time but now that I'm snowed in here it's time to catch up again.

The usual working. Phone is slow but there is no snow now so just slogging away after holiday break.

Cory,
Nothing too crazy. People don't understand that many of the chimps have been abused their whole life and are extremely dangerous...
When they slam into 3inch safety glass, it certainly makes you step back! They are really cool, personable animals, just terrible what people do to them.

We do a day or two a year, sometimes more, sometimes less. As long as the ppl or organization we do the volunteer work for is cool and legit and polite about it all, we have no problems with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hung somewhere close to a gazillion nesting boxes for our version of the Audubon society over the years.

No-one have ever asked us to remove a tree for free.

I never work for free anymore. I would have charged $1 for that removal. Every time I worked for free something bad happened. Now I charge.

I do for free sometimes, trees making risks to kids walking to school along a certain lane. One thing I find is that it doesn't pay. :lol:

Nice job and way to give something back. I did some work for Habitat for humanity many years ago, but have not done any volunteer work in a long time. Im overdue.

I have never worked for free but for cost. Big ups tho!
edit No scratch that I just remembered some pro bono work I did for a church, but I wasn't asked to do it but did it anyway.

I like doing some community work each year. Our community helps keep food on our table and bills paid with their patronage. Nice to give some back each year. Well done..

:thumbup:

Great idea and great photos too !

I am in the "starting out" phase right now, but will definitely plan on following your excellent example of how to be a good citizen and neighbor.

Michael

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanna try to make volunteering a regular thing as long as it doesn't break the bank. not huge jobs but little things here and there. this job cost me a little cause of the hour drive, but other than that and the gas in the saws there were no other costs. of course if I make too much of a habit out of this that is what people will expect, but whatever, fun days work, met a bunch of cool people, free lunch and beer, free labor, and I was on the news.

Good for you Page! It will come back to you many times over. It never fails when I do charity work that I have someone approach me to do a for profit job. It's a Biblical principal that really works, "Give and it will be given to you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over". Not only that, but it feels mighty good too!

When I was 12 or 13 money was not that easy to come by. I put some change in the collection plate at church for the first time in my life. It was a night service for some reason. Shortly after I got home we had a guy come to the door who had slid into the ditch and was buried in a snow bank. Dad told me I could pull him out and make sure to have him make the connection to his vehicle. I got him pulled out and he insisted on giving me $10. That was a lot in '65 or '66. I reflected on it quite a bit. Within an hour it happened.

Back