Ford v. Chevy v. Toyota

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Alight, I figured I'd put this up for info and a few kicks.

What would you prefer, a Ford F150, Chevy/GMC 1500, or a Toyota Tundra. All would be in used condition, but not abused. A well taken care of, low miles truck. A V8 in all of them, 4x4, extended cab. Manual or auto, I'm undecided on.

First, I would dump the 4x4 and get a locker/lsd instead. Lots cheaper, better gas milleage, and better traction, UNLESS you have a 4x4 with a locker.

I had a '97 f150, it was a prety good truck, five speed and v6. Beat it like a dog. Had to redo the heads and gaskets, lost the crank pulley and plugs and wires. 146k it spun a rod bearing.
I swore I would never own another Ford pickup, didn't like the motors, didn't like the body, etc...... Went to the Toyotay dealer to look at Toyota's. WELL!!!!!!! They are a VERY nice truck, and I wont talk anyone out of one. But come with DEEP POCKETS and be ready to reach in them!
We drove home that night with an '04 f150 and I have been nothing but happy with it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool.

Can I ask though, what is the locker/isd you talk about. I'm not big into this stuff right now, as I'm still getting the basics down.

Climate will determine a 4x4 or not. I'd buy a 2wd next, considering there is always a 4x4 as a backup.

I don't like chevy or fords interiors for a daily, and they end up creeking from what I've experienced. I know of a few f150's that engines went kaput pretty early. I know of a few Rangers with well over 225k, so you never know.

Toyota's are expensive, but they do keep there value, and should never be treated as a big truck, because they just aren't.

I think we should all stop buying imports. Just makes sense. But the american auto industry also needs to step up and make better products. I really think though we need to keep our money and JOBS at home. Hows that for a FORNER:D

i loved my toyotas, then i loved my f150 even more, now i love my cummins!

I do believe the Tundra is made in America and Toyota is giving many Americans jobs. So is Honda. On the other hand, I know Dodge has many of their trucks made in Mexico or Canada.

I would never buy a pickup if it is not 4x4. I had a Dodge dually 2x4 with lsd and it lost traction several times. Once I nearly got stuck in a bad situation. I currently have a Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 with lsd (most come with them) and never got stuck yet. It can be something as simple as backing a trailer on loose gravel on level ground that I needed to engage the 4x4.

One little problem Stephan. More of the Toyota truck is probably built in the US than the f150!! A lot of the parts are made in Canada, then it's assembled in Mexico.

I think we should all stop buying imports. Just makes sense. But the american auto industry also needs to step up and make better products. I really think though we need to keep our money and JOBS at home. Hows that for a FORNER:D

So, which one is American - a Ford made in Mexico or Canada or a Toyota made in Texas?

As far as the original question, I like my Ford 250. Plan on keeping it for a long time.

My 03 Tundra extended cab is absolutely wonderful, and has never given me a moment's trouble. No question in my mind I'd get another one.

No shit, good point.

And I'll give you the answer, too.

Go buy some Toyota stock, then buy a Toyota truck. The jobs are here in America, and the profits will come back to you through dividends and capital appreciation. You've just made Toyota an American company.

If I had the money right now, this would already be in then driveway and I would be planning the box and such for the truck. I love these things. There is one for sale right now in Bootjack not far from here. :D

deuce139.jpg

If I had the money right now, this would already be in then driveway and I would be planning the box and such for the truck. I love these things. There is one for sale right now in Bootjack not far from here. :D

deuce139.jpg

How many do you want? I know where six are sitting right now, most multi fuel.

Its a money issue right now Andy... I could borrow the money NP but I am not making any major purchases for at least a year or two unless absolutely necessary.

Ford trucks are not made in Mexico ,small Lincolns are though .

In spite of how geography may list it ,I don't consider Mexico as North America .

I know absolutely nothing about Toyota trucks but the autos seem to be pretty good .

For my money it would be a Ford or Chevy .Buy what you want though ,it's a free country or at least was at one time .

Back