Firewood

Sycamore around here seems to grow in groups .You either see a lot or nearly none at all ..I've got just one and it needs cut because it's half dead .It burns like any wood just takes a lot of it .

The background music was perfect.
Black powder, steel, pounding maul, makes me cringe, but it was fun.

Depends on size, no? I never counted wood pieces. Lately, I've been thinking about selling "ricks"(12²') of wood. Looks like 2'x4'x16"(?) driving by fast on the road. Mine would be ~18" cause 16" is too short, and it coincidentally makes a nice round number. Make a couple extra $, and prevent good wood from being wasted.

Seems a ridiculous idea, that there is a generally specific number of pieces in a face cord. Just look at some of the pictures I've posted of my woodsheds...there is everything from cords made up of 1/8th rounds of 40 plus inch diameter old growth Douglas fir, to 2 to 5 inch diameter limb wood collected around my property.

Firewood will generally fall within a normal size range if it is sold to just anybody, or it won't fit in their wood burner, or they will complain about pieces being too heavy or too small and hot burning. I counted recently, and it was much more than I remember that it should be, if my memory from counting 10 years ago is accurate. I like big pieces: 1/2 to 1/4 rounds if a full round is larger than 9" in diameter. But normally large to small splits should run 150-250 pieces per face cord as best as I can remember. I got 280 & 320 in a recent count of 2 ricks, and I didn't think they were all that small.

Y'all need to give up at anachronistic way of measuring firewood and go metric.
Anyone can understand metric, seems no-one can understand face cord.

Was Morty involved in those Ricks of firewood?

In seriousness, 16" long pieces in a 4'x8' face cord comes from 3 face cords to a bush cord, 3 x 16" = 48" or 4 feet, i.e. bush cord is 4'x4'x8'

I see you and raise you one hogs head, a farthing and a gill.:)

Last edited:
Y'all need to give up at anachronistic way of measuring firewood and go metric.
Anyone can understand metric, seems no-one can understand face cord.
Maryland law states that firewood must be sold by a cord or a fraction of a cord. This is enforced by the Maryland Department of Agriculture's - Weights and Measures section.

A cord is a legally definable quantity. A "face cord" is meaningless as near as I can tell. You could nail cookies to a sheet of plywood and get a face cord. I'm fine with cord, cubic feet, and I could adjust to metric. BTW, I don't think the quoted regulation is strictly enforced, but a complaint would probably bring legal scrutiny.

A face is all I'm concerned with right now, because that's what I'm counting. I'm not counting how many sticks in a specific volume, but how many sticks in a 4x8 area looking at the end of the pieces.

Green Mt. State has this covered ... "Face Cords" , "Pickup Truck Loads" , "Dump Truck Loads" are all out (legally speaking that is) ... cut split is sold by the Cord or fraction thereof.

Legaly, 1 "stère" is a cube of 1 meter filled with firewood logs of 1 meter long. So splitted or not, but ready to burn and reasonably well stacked. It takes in count the natural curvature and dimensional imprecision of the wood, translating in minimal "void" in the stack.
It isn't so simple in details
The base principle is that the customer should buy these 1 meter logs and then, before delivery, the logs should be cut to the size required by him. When cut, the logs stack neater and reduce the void, so depending of the size the customer want, the actual wood volume (delivered and stacked again) decreases by a certain amount. The initial 1 cubic meter becomes 0.8 for 20 " log length (half), 0.75 for 13" (third) and 0.66 for 10" (quarter).
It's an endless source of conflicts and frustration. LOL
But still, it's a better system than selling by the weigth for example, due to the considerable variation in water content..

I wouldn't want to do it as "a thing", but I enjoy cutting/splitting wood, and I can only burn so much myself. Stacks by the side of the road with an honor box is about as involved as I'd want to get.

Back