fave friction hitch for an eye and eye?

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 3K
W

Widow Shooter

I have tried a few different hitches now, maybe my eye and eye isn't long enough for a VT? and the distel seems to loosen up for me...:? but I love the simple schwabish prussik...it is easy to tie, works well and is very easy to move when I want it to and grips without fail when I want it to:)

also on the treemagineers site, they show the hitch-climber set-up using the schwab...;)

what do you guys like?

I like a VT, my prussik is short though, about 24". I don't get the big long VT thing.

I like the shwab and the distel. The schwab seems a little more basic and reliable, and the distel a little more high performance. Actually its pretty reliable too but it takes me a little longer to get it dressed and operating just right compared to the schab which is kind of tie and go.

I've been climbing on the icicle, which is easy to tie and holds very tight, but will still release. I'm switching to the vt though, because its a lot smoother decent. It doesn't choke the rope so it never really gets tight, it releases so much easier than anything else I've tried. I tie it with a 24" beeline.

As for performance in double line control the type of friction hitch you use is as much a factor as the combination of prusik cord and rope you are using.

The knot used is only one part of how any combination works. Luckily for us the manufacturing of ropes is beginning to reach an optimum level where a standard can be reach.

I've tried them all and always come back to the vt. You can tune it however you like.

As for performance in double line control the type of friction hitch you use is as much a factor as the combination of prusik cord and rope you are using.

The knot used is only one part of how any combination works. Luckily for us the manufacturing of ropes is beginning to reach an optimum level where a standard can be reach.

WOW, now that is telling it like it is. Nice statement. That one went over my head.

Anyway, VT here as far as a friction hitch . Tried them all at one time or another and the VT is the only one for me. I prefer knots verses the spliced eyes. Gives the hitch more fluid liquidity.

The Schawb gets too tight are you work it for awhile, especially after the cord gets some time on it.

VT for me, just have to get it dial it in is all.

HC

Attachments

• VT Fish oposit out BEST.jpg
    VT Fish oposit out BEST.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 15
I never thought I'd leave the VT, but I've been using the Michoacan more and more lately.

It's as fine tunable as the VT. I also like that while tying it and moving things around I can totally let go of it and it'll keep itself together.

The VT can't do that.

Right now using a 27" beeline...spliced of course.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
do you guys find the VT put twists in your rope??? I have heard this

That can be addressed by how you tie it. If you have all your wraps and braids pulling the rope in one direction, then it can hockle your rope terribly. I tie my VT exactly like HC's picture shown above. See how the left leg comes off the top of the wraps and then tucks under the other leg when forming the braid? That helps counteract the twisting effect of the wraps.

I'm still liking the Icicle these days, and have really been pleased and surprised with how much more smoothly it advances with the Hitchclimber pulley Pete McTree gifted me with. I was using a Petzl micro pulley, and thought it was just fine, but now I know better.

I go back to a short VT, just like Skwerl and Hobby Climber use, off and on. Same improvement in smooth function with the Hitchclimber over the plain micro pulley.

But just as Jerry so rightly says, the choice of the hitch itself is only one aspect of the total picture on friction hitch operation. Any one thing (host line, hitch cord, hitch, slack tender) can make or break a setup. Lots of variables even within those broad categories.

As short as it allows VT/French Prusik here. From memory I want to say around 28" w/the tied ends.

The good thing I like about it is if your line get's all pitchy and grabbing or loose with age. Just simply modify as needed by adding or removing a wrap up top, or braids along the bottom.

Factors affecting performance of a friction hitch (in order of importance)(in my opinion):
1. Weight the knot is supporting
2. Whether or not you use a friction/cambium saver
3. Type of cord the knot is tied with
4. Type of rope the knot is tied onto
5. Type of knot tied
6. How wet/dry your rope is

Notice the knot itself is way down at #5.

As for myself, I mostly use a VT with 7 wraps and 1 braid tied with Bail Out onto Arbormaster.

Been using a VT for some time now, and couldn't imagine switching.

jp:D

Attachments

• DSCN2573.JPG
    DSCN2573.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 55
Back