Exercise

I love when I hear about these physical labor blue collar monsters that hate excercise... and then their back hurts.
And on the other side of the coin you have people spending their lives in the gym to be really fit…for what? 🤣 they don’t know which end of a chainsaw to hold, and can’t even change a flat tire. Big lifted truck and get stuck offroad because they have more muscles than brains.

And on the other side of the coin you have people spending their lives in the gym to be really fit…for what? 🤣
I get that.
When I was a younger man I played a decent standard of football (soccer) I kept fit, running and cycling, to be better at it.

I have tried a couple of times to get back into cycling, but without the goal of being fitter for football I just couldn’t find the old magic.

Me in 94 ish. image.jpg

And on the other side of the coin you have people spending their lives in the gym to be really fit…for what? 🤣 they don’t know which end of a chainsaw to hold, and can’t even change a flat tire. Big lifted truck and get stuck offroad because they have more muscles than brains.
From what I’ve seen of the gym rats is they are mostly younger and have show muscle. Sure they can lift a massive amount of weight but have no functional strength. Also for most muscle size is inversely proportional to brains. We had a guy like that at work for a short time. He could lift a lot, if it was perfectly balanced and shaped correctly. We all know everything in tree work fits that description. He lasted two weeks.

@treebilly exactly! I had some HS football players come help me scrounge dead trees (whole logs into pickups) for a HS bonfire when I was in my 20s building buildings…I was probably 175 and they were well over 200…couldn’t do nearly what I could as quickly and easily.

Another friend used to be a manual hay loader…their favorite thing was to get highschoolers to try out for the summer…most of them didn’t last very long.

IMG_5952.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Comes up for me as a grizzly stretching. Inspirational type stuff

IMG_7720.jpeg
43*F dunk this morning followed by warm up exercises and stretching. Did a brisk mile walk with my wife and one dog. Then a lot of twisting while weed whacking. Planning on getting a run in this afternoon yet. Still need to knock some things off the honey do list first

Those guys are nuts Cory. You could see him losing steam right at the top but damn good speed. It’s the having to tap only three times on the way down that makes my knees hurt just watching.

43*F dunk this morning followed by warm up exercises and stretching.
Exercise afterwards rocks, eh??

How long did you choose to stay in @ 43?

What are you doing re ice procurement?

@cory
3&1/2 minutes and dunking my head at the end. I’m thinking of trying to up my time a bit but nothing drastic. Maybe up to 5 or 6. I have a bunch of half gallon juice bottles that I freeze and then toss in at night. The ice you see floating was leftover from my five gallon jug I keep in the work truck. I have an acquaintance that bought an ice pod with a chiller and he really likes it. Said it was a no brainer after doing the math on purchasing ice. I’m thinking of buying an almost commercial size ice maker. It might be a bit more than the chiller but I do buy a lot of ice yearly. Since I’m planning on camping a lot more I’ll need a lot more ice.

3-4 min for me at that temp, 4-5 min for upper 40s.

I bought an ice maker at Depot for 400$, it makes about 5 gal of ice in 8-10 hrs. Then you gotta have a freezer large enough to hold about 10 gal of ice plus I use a bunch of smaller, frozen, quart-size yogurt containers.

Dealing with the ice making etc is definitely a bit of a pita, having a chiller would save a lot of work but they cost a few bucks. And yeah, for 5-6 months/year you usually don't need to add ice so that's good.

I gotta get back into LI Sound where it all started for me, it's a 46* now.

I’ve got a large chest freezer. I’ve got to do more research on the ice maker yet. We have a full sized restaurant one at work that I was using this winter but it needs its maintenance and has been shut down for at least a month now. It was nice when it was running. I could plunge in the upper 30’s on a regular basis.

On the subject of exercise, has anyone been following “Hardestgeezer”?

Set out a year ago to be the first person to run the length of Africa.

Incredible achievement. Makes some of David Goggins stuff appear pretty tame.

Yes tho not religiously. Wild ride!

Back