Douglas Dent Professional Timber Falling

lxskllr

Treehouser
Should I get this book? I'll probably be ordering a paper copy of The Fundamentals by this weekend, and was thinking about getting this book too. I've seen occasional pics online that I /think/ came from this book, and they looked well made and explanatory. Does it add enough to The Fundamentals that it's worth getting, or alternately, is it readable and interesting so even if the technical aspects don't justify the cost, the entertainment would?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That would be cool. I could make a donation to The House for the value.

Every author, of every technical reference written, has their own style of describing a procedure. Some are explained better than others, or in a way that someone can just understand it better.

I read Dent's book in the 1980's and it helped a lot when it come time for me to describe the same procedures in the Fundamentals.

Rugged looking individual. Interesting vid

He is a very articulate and intelligent speaker...not the tobacco chewing/spitting roughneck lumberjack one might expect (sorry, Jerry...I'm going by some of the loggers I have met out here)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's pretty rare to combine people that can do things and people that can teach things. Teaching is an art unto itself, and doesn't seem to be fully appreciated. I'm terrible at teaching, even with things I fully know and am good at.

:lol: I've been around them and love some of them. This guy was the chewingest, spittingest thing you ever met. He ran our survival program...patterned after Outward Bound. He was uber smart, funny, and an inspiration to those that could stand being around him...Coach. One of my greatest mentors. It wasn't until many years after I met him that I learned he was an Iwo Jima Marine.

Op Upstr 141.jpg Op Upstr 006.jpg Op Upstr 023.jpg Op Upstr 095.jpg Op Upstr 107.jpg Op Upstr 090.jpg

Dent's book is still a good read and full of info.

I heard that years after writing it, he gave up recommending a dutchman cut to aid in falling leaners, as it is just too unpredictable?

Depending on a dutchman's pretty ballsy, unless the potential damage is negligible and no big deal, IME.

They do work, but are no substitute for a pull line.

Jomo

Back