Does Anyone Read the Whole Site Anymore?

I have wondered this same thing. The funny thing is that almost all of the people who posted in this thread are the ones who I figured read all of the threads. So many of you know each others real names and families that I figured I must be missing things in the threads that I dont read.

I try to at least read the original post to see where its going. However, so many times the thread heads off in a different direction you never know what you are going to end up with.

Butch, can't you bump a derail to a new forum?

I look at this at like a tome of knowledge. When I was starting out or am looking for a product review I google(ed) it. It is nice to find condensed info on a topic or product in one thread. Conversations in forums with friends is one thing, call it what you want and derail at will(kids religion guns politics whatever) but as far as instructional topics or product categories it is nice when the thread is on topic.

I try to name my threads specifically with what it is about or asking about so other people, outside of our community, can find the info they are looking for with google, the site search, or other searches. Does that make sense?

And kill the spirit of the Treehouse while you're at it.
Derails'R'us, quite simply!-

I prefer the feel of a conversation amoung friends over a beer or two after work...where staying on a topic is certainly not a priority.

+1
I love some of the banter we have in here, the derails just make it more like real friends, feet up by the fire, drink in hand, letting the conversation roll of our tongues and dance in our heads with a smile chaser.

admin1.gif

:lol:

I wish we would stay on topic more often, but it seems like I'm the only one who feels that way.

I enquired once if there should be a degree of responsibility with the person that started a thread, to kind of maintain that thread, at least for awhile for the long running ones. I think my enquiry was mostly responded to by being laughed at. Oh well, I thought.

Most threads tend to stay on topic for at least a couple pages. Once the original topic is addressed, conversations often continue. Most of us are usually considerate enough not to derail a topic before it has been properly addressed.

This particular derail is a good example. We're on page four and the original topic has been well covered. Now we're discussing something else.

Fairly often a derail runs on a tangent for a few posts, but we manage to circle back to original subject and go on from there.

Jay, I remember and I didn't laugh. My contention was as long as the OP didn't say anything, then all was well.

I prefer the feel of a conversation amoung friends over a beer or two after work...where staying on a topic is certainly not a priority.

Same here, except I'm drinking beer and most of you are asleep.:)

I don't read everything but I don't miss much.

Back