Crane Slings

Interesting species note, Jon, thx.

Bell and nubbin would be pretty fast, I've never tried it.

I'm by no means suggesting you try a bell n nubbin logging choker Cory.

However, should you decide on your own to try such a choker?

It's critical for the climber to have the CO snug up the choker with you there at the choker to insure it's set n secure before dropping down, pulling your lifeline and tying in again. Never any slack in the crane's main winch line using this type of choker to pick with.

Jomo

Of course. That is always the way with our current system of wire choker and clevis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Try just an eye-to-eye choker without the clevis. SO much faster for both the climber and ground worker that you'll really be surprised.

I've tried it. I don't like taking the eye on and off the hook, and I didn't notice time savings in the air or on the ground. Also the worst crane incident Ive ever had involved a wire eye to eye choker with no clevis. We had a job and the crane co had to send us an unfamiliar crane and op at the last minute, they didn't have any clevises with them so we just used an eye n eye wire choker. First tree was a norway maple (they have somewhat weak, brittle limb wood imo, for those who aren't familiar with the species), choked a normal sized bushy piece for the first pick, op picked it smoothly, and as it was swinging away the piece snapped where it was choked and 1500 lbs of tree came down and by complete miracle didn't hit anything or anybody. It was freaky and scary. The only cause we could come up with is the wire choker without the clevis acted like a garrott and essentially sliced in half the choke spot. I've choked loads of similar sized pieces with a choker with clevis without any problems I think the clevis spreads the force a bit at the choking spot and prevents the garroting/slicing action.

For me spider legs are best for capturing 'more' of the tree. Or at least giving a climber more options to safely do that. You sometimes have to factor that against the extra setup time v taking smaller pics with less slinging time. Whether theres room to lay huge pics out is another matter. It doesnt mean you have to use them all for every pic, especially if its just easy upright stuff. But when you're at full stretch with the boom, undersized crane and you need a horizontal to come off smooth and balanced, its a reassuring set up to have at hand. Thats not to say you couldnt have managed it with a single choker or two, but its about options and putting things in your favor. Crane work can be pretty catastrophic when it goes wrong. And lots of experienced guys have learned that the hard way.

John made a very valid point earlier also, about first time or new crane climbers, or operators for that matter. Its a very safe and predictable introduction.

I worked with chains for years to start with, because thats all we had. I was always good at balancing stuff so I didnt see the need to look at other options. But when I think back now we did have a few big balanced horizontals twist because of upward weighted foliage.....which would want to orient itself downwards and in doing so the chain hook would end up on the top side of the limb. The pick would still be balanced, but just upside down. Wasnt very safe, or smart....but it sure did look cool balancing huge sections by a single chain, and it was fast :/: So glad I grew out of trying to look cool....and the stance of how I didnt need this and that. I mean, Its great to have or develop those core skills or aptitude for this kind of rigging work, but its even better to develop an open mind and have options IME. When I moved to BC I was just shocked at the dangerous and moronic methods in the use and treatment of cranes for treework. Im not surprised they look beat to hell and dripping fluid all down the road. One went over just a few months back actually. Crane work should be made as safe and easy as possible, where possible.

I fully agree. When you need them or aren't sure, spider legs are a quick, easy option. If you don't need em on every pick, then good.

Have used both clevis and simply an eye choker. Not a biggee, but I like the clevis for the added weight when slinging around a tree, and when dropping the hook down through a crown, it doesn't have to get so low and possibly run into more shit to need to take the eye off the hook. Another thing is slipping bark, experience has showed me that it's always best to attach under a limb if there is the tendency :O , but not always possible. I wouldn't swear on it, but I get the impression that a clevis offers more bite into the wood, than just a spliced eye cable cinching up tight. Unless a light pick, generally two wraps over then under and through the clevis is how we roll. Never dropped a pin yet or fading memory tells me possibly once. Those pins can be hard to find for old guys. :lol:

All I have ever used was cable slings and clevises. I would love to try the chain setup like treestuff has just to be able to easily adjust in small increments. It can be a huge pain to figure out how many times you need to wrap a cable sling to shorten it up when balancing a load.
Certainly using some nice heavy rope slings would be cheaper but I am not sure how much our crane guy would go for that.

Might be able to get him to go for that, seems like crane guys here like for you to use their slings. I think the chain setup would be an easier sell.

3456.jpg

Wonder what might happen with these or choked chains if a piece inverts.

I dunno I use chokers with bells both single and doubled up barreled and also use nylon slings.....can't imagine using chain.

I have my own attachments, but the crane outfit i have called in of late brings their own, usually eye to eye wire rope. It all works. Preference is wire rope with a shackle. I don`t mind the headache ball, or here it`s a collar, up close. With conifers, knowing it`s clear of limbs and such has to happen. Brush gets in the pulley mechanisms of the main hook and the computer shuts it down and you`re stuck, often use gum tape to make a temporary covering around the pulley`s casing..

Here is a video I took. In the beginning it shows using single eye slings to preload tops well enough I think. If you guys would like I can make a video going more in depth on the next crane day. Before you click please understand I do not have the financial gain part of youtube enabled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhvqQd93CeQ

Back