climbing chaps

Wood Collector

TreeHouser
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with SIP Tradition Trousers w/Front Protection as I am looking at getting some chaps for the occasion chainsaw use but want some chaps that are not to hot. The reason for this is that I have a job comming up where I need chaps for extra safety and thought that the ones that I have found for$160 would be suitable.

Don't wear chaps to climb...too many buckles and bits to get caught on stuff.
I used to have SIP Traditions...or at least their earlier model trousers. Since then they and many others have come out with superior models that are lighter and thinner.

If you are looking for some trousers that are a good compromise, not too expensive, yet use the more modern materials, 'Francitals' from TreeStuff are pretty good if I do say so.

Yes, they are black but the fabric wicks and is breathable. They fit well and are stretchy. I've worn them from frosty days in Tasmania right through mid summer in hot humid Bermuda.
$199 was the last price I saw (last year...)

If you just want a pair of buckle on chaps for ground work, just about any of them are fine, just make sure you get the ones that wrap around your lower leg completely.

Also, being in Australia, check out Clogger brand...AUS/NZ certified. Made in NZ I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay thanks for the advice. I might have a look at the 'Francitals' from TreeStuff and compare them to the SIP Traditionals. I guess it does come down to preference as to what I can try on and when I need the chainsaw pants by for the job that I am going to do for my neighbors.

I love my pfanners! Haven't had an opportunity to try some of the other pant options, but once I finally got over the price tag I wished I hadn't waited so long.

Our employees are now equipped with pfanners once they go through basic chainsaw training, and if they are expected to stay with the company.

EDIT - employees use standard chaps during training.

So you let them go through basic training bare legged.
Nice one, I'll have to try that out.
Might make them a mite more careful.

So you let them go through basic training bare legged.
Nice one, I'll have to try that out.
Might make them a mite more careful.

Nice, Gotta give them proper motivation. Nothing like a flesh wound to do so.

Not really. We have standard snap/buckle chaps on the trucks, and in the shop that are used at that point, or if for some reason someone doesn't have alternate chainsaw protection.

Cool if you are working for yourself, but if you let an employee do that and get hurt, you'll be very, very sorry.

Historically, at least, from what I hear, leg pro is required for ground use only. I've never heard mention of some states requiring it.

In some states, if you don't have enough employees, like 3, you don't need worker's comp on them. How's that for a lack of protection.

Chainsaw pants are a necessity imo, they are now comfortable, affordable & pleasant to wear & the padding is nice whilst wearing spikes. Chaps are ok I guess for the occasional user, for climbing no.

In extremes of heat, I can see them being detrimental, but they are lifesaver that is for sure.

Just curious on what do you do in the cold? Do you layer up over top of them? I'm really thinking about the pfanner's. How many days in a row would you wear them? I mean how many pants per week?

Layer UNDER them if you need to. I wear short leggings under mine in the winter, just a little something extra to keep the bum warm before you heat up.
Buy one pair, use them for a couple days...or as long as your nose can stand sweaty pants, then wash and spin dry. My Francitals line dry mainly overnight, or in the winter I stick them in front of the fire while watching TV...don't have a tumble dryer.

Layer UNDER them. In the winter I wear short leggings under my Francitals, just something extra to keep the bum warm before you heat up.

Buy one pair, wear them for a couple of days, or as long as your nose can stand the sweatiness, it's a personal thing. Wash and spin dry. Mine dry overnight on the line mainly, in winter I hang them in front of the fire while we watch TV. We don't have a tumble dryer.

In some states, if you don't have enough employees, like 3, you don't need worker's comp on them. How's that for a lack of protection.

Nice in theory, but I had a guy injured and as I sat in the hospital I kept thinking how irresponsible it is for any employer in this industry to not have coverage. I often whine about the cost of it but will never be without it as long as I run a crew in this industry.

The reason for getting the pants is so that I have a level of Protection from the chainsaw in the event that I slip. I have used a chainsaw for cross cutting logs safely without protection and it did not feel right.

Using a chainsaw in the tree is a new venture. I am in the process of buying 3 chainsaw operator books that cover tree felling and maintenance. I am going to be enrolling in a cert3 arboriculture course on Thursday hopefully. Cheers Pat (WC)

Nice in theory, but I had a guy injured and as I sat in the hospital I kept thinking how irresponsible it is for any employer in this industry to not have coverage. I often whine about the cost of it but will never be without it as long as I run a crew in this industry.

How do you mean, nice in theory? I think it sucks, in theory and probably in practice.

Excellent recommendations, MoonShine. Those are the top books in my estimation, too.

Pat...not sure what Cert3 is but good plan to get proper training. Your climbing skills needs to be down SOLID first before you try to run a saw in the tree....and you need to be totally comfortable on the ground in saw handling skills before you even think about getting off the ground with one. You need to be VERY comfortable in the tree on spurs and understand how to TIT and on and on. Keep us posted on your progress...you can get some good advice here from some top people.

Will do. I have the tree climbers guide in my kit already. Most of the climbing that I do is at home so I am only doing removal of dead wood so I don't have spurs yet although I could borrow some when I need them. Will post a pic later of a job that I am looking at possible doing for the neighbours. Thanks for the advice Pantheraba and MoonShine

my other advice is as pantheraba, said running a chainsaw in a tree is advanced stuff to put it simply and something i haven't had the balls to do just yet, i use my silky sugi to limb and top then pull the trunk over.
slower but safer, plus i change by the hour 90% of the time

Back