Chipper key

Page

TreeHouser
One of the new guys snapped the key of in the ignition of the chipper yesterday. I was able to drill a small whole in it and pull out the broken bit. I couldn’t find any places locally that have that key so I made one 🤣 1201A1AE-C451-452A-B1E0-7FF1CA572934.jpeg

Fine for a temporary fix, but the vibrations will probably kill your switch with a little time.

Not the same issue but the picture reminded me...
Over the years I have worked for and with many other people. There is always the guy who has to pull the key out of the chipper every time he is more than 100' away from the machine. This invariably results in the job being delayed while somebody tries to find the key so they can start the chipper. If the chipper is left on a jobsite overnight it's worse, as half the time the key gets left back at the shop or in yesterday's pants pocket.

When I bought my chipper the first thing I did was take a short piece of old throwline and tie the chipper key to the chipper. If somebody pulls the key out of the switch, they still can't take it without cutting or untying the string. This keeps the key where it is supposed to be- With the chipper! And if somebody is dumb enough to believe that leaving the key in the chipper will make any difference in whether or not the machine gets stolen, then I feel sorry for you.

You saying some highly-skilled and medicated redneck couldn’t drive off a chipper? Keep that doubt to yourself. Someone will try!

It kind of depends on where you are. I've run across sleazy landscapers hooking up to chippers left behind while the chip truck went to dump. Up around here, the key stays with me when not running, and if I disconnect anywhere (even my shared yard), the pintle lock goes on. Seeing how much I paid for mine new (~$64K) its my prized biz possession, and I treat almost as well as my wife and kids (actually, sometimes better... ;) ).

And again, whether or not the key is in the ignition will have zero influence over whether or not it gets stolen. If a thief shows up to steal your $64K chipper, he's not going to change his mind and walk away because the $1 key is missing. But leaving the key somewhere and not being able to start the chipper can cause job delays. How many times has the crew had to wait for you to get back to the jobsite to chip because you had the key in your pocket?

Last edited:
I always take the key out of the Gehl or Boxer when I’m leaving the job site, whether to dump or done for the day. Not because I’m afraid of them being stolen, but because if some kids get to playing on it and take the key out and lose it, it could make for an aggravating start upon my return. Why, I’d have to walk to the truck and get the spare key...

But leaving the key somewhere and not being able to start the chipper can cause job delays. How many times has the crew had to wait for you to get back to the jobsite to chip because you had the key in your pocket?

Not once ever. To clarify, the ground crew will have the key if I have to leave, as they do get it at the start of the shift. But I'd never leave it unattended with the key in it (especially when it's on the street in front, and we're working a 1/4 mile in the back of the property; fairly frequent occurrence here). But for cripes sake, I'm not going to leave the key (which you actually have to have an official Morbark copy, as the electronics won't start without the exact key) to leave any bonus op for whoever steals it. Would make it kind of hard for them to get the proper key for the electronics without giving up the serial number, which would be traced/trigger alarms (I would hope, everything computerized nowadays).

Last edited:
If there are idiots or kids around, I pull the keys. Both the chipper and the Dingo if they are left at the job or unsupervised for a length of time. Safety reasons. Brian's correct. Thieves will steal. Key or not. Hell, look at the stupid shit Druggies do all the time.

Back