Chipper cononundrum?

RopeArmour

TreeHouser
Please i would like some advice and insights from you all. Most of my work is crown reduction/hazard tree type stuff. I don't chip up wood, it all goes to friends and neighbours. I rarely do lot clearing and most all of my work is difficult trees with difficult access.
1st What i have is a tired 25hp Robin Subaru Bandit 65A
Needs paint, axles, tires, trailer coupler and new or rebuilt engine and quite a bit of welding/touchup. Otherwise this chippy has been well cared for.
I am considering one of 4 options.
1. buy brand new and start over 20 000 plus
2. throw on bigger new engine 40 hp and repair chipper as necessitates 4 000 plus plus
3. replace with same engine 25 hp and repair as necessitates 2000
4. buy bigger used chipper with 35 to 40 hp at 8000 to 10000

What do you think? Thanks in advance for your help:thumbup:

Needs paint, axles, tires, trailer coupler and new or rebuilt engine and quite a bit of welding/touchup. Otherwise this chippy has been well cared for.:

Which part was well cared for? The jack?

Not sure about advice. Sounds like maybe a fresh unit would be good.

I think you'd do well to check out Proxibid.com

Check out the chipper selection you'll find there. Many municipalities sell their heavy equipment at public auction. Most of it is in very good used condition. Every once in a while you'll find a nearly new surplus piece that comes up, from some college or other public institution, such as a prison.

Proxibid is one of my favorites for heavy equipment. Start shopping. If you're in no big hurry, that's your best source for a good piece of used equipment.

Auctions are live on the internet. Bid live, online. Pay instantly following the auction. Love the place.

Joel

Good clean equipment is worth a lot.... Doing a proper repaint would be expensive.

A 6" chipper in the states, with a comparable gas engine, would be under $15kUSD retail.

Bigger is always better, sometimes. How did you like your 6" in its prime? How long would a new chipper last you?

New rubber on rims frequently on sale at Princess Auto are cheap.
Ditto for axle (btw, do you really need a new axle, or just re/re the bearings and seals?).

Unless you go new I'd stick with this: "3. replace with same engine 25 hp and repair as necessitates 2000."

The Bandit 65A is a good little chipper for the work you do.

Finding a good second hand 6" is near impossible here, you probably have a lot better chance but you know yours and $2000 and a bit of time isn't much. But I hate letting things go and new is nice.8)

Hey Thomas, I'm thinking your relationship with this chipper might be on the rocks if you are ambivalent about getting rid of it. I usually just feel that way about trees and other living things, but iron is precious.
How are the bearings and disc in that chipper, given the disreputable condition that you have let the rest of it morph into?

Regarding engine size that 40 HP Kohler that Thor's Hammer mentioned is phenomenal. I rented a 9 inch Bandit with one of those on it when searching out what chipper to buy. It could run 5 inch pine limbs with ease and 7/8 inch using the autofeed some.

I had a 9 inch Bandit built (with a diesel.) Now I want to get a 65XP with the 40 horse Kohler in place of my 65AW with 37 Horse Wisconsin.

Then how much time will it be down while you do the repairs? How much business will you lose during that time? How much more work will it create for you and your team?
I'd refurbish it, but I'm not busy, have no money and lots of free time! If your business depends on this machine to keep going, I can't see how you could have it down for the month or two to perform the repairs.
As for re-powering it with a larger engine, I can't say that's a good idea if it's in the condition you describe. I can only see the larger engine causing more, and quicker wear on an already tired unit.

I think another option would be to PM me and I'll drive up and take it off your hands...... I'm jokin'..... I'm in the rebuild what you have camp, but that's what I do for a living ....

Im a sucker for a bandit 65. Also a sucker for keeping myself busy. Not much to those lil buggers. A winter rebuild would be fun and cheap. Always wish i ran across a cheap 65, some days its silly towing my 15" to prune hedges. But i need another piece of iron like a hole in my head.

I like a good overhaul on occasion but not when there's nothing solid but the frame and tail lights. Too much time and money. I've been down that road. It served its purpose but also burned me out too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think another option would be to PM me and I'll drive up and take it off your hands...... I'm jokin'..... I'm in the rebuild what you have camp, but that's what I do for a living ....

Sounds like your in need of a chipper and I need a rebuild. Barter? What say you? I would be happy to meet you half way. St George http://www.thestgeorge.ca/ I will bring the chipper and you can spin the wheel and see for yourself.
Grabbed the 40hp Robn Subaru today. http://www.subarupower.com/pfeatures.aspx?pid=260
Its alot more pwr than necessary but frig it, I just want to throw brush at it and walk away no autofeed, no electonics, carborated pure brush eating monster.
25hp was fine for near 11 yrs so 40 is going to be :thumbup:

Great big Thanks to all who shared your thoughts. It was kinda of a tough decision. pretty attached to my first chippy like I was with my my first truck. 65 A is a big dog in lil dogs body. I ahve had people laugh at it when I pull up to a job site and say stuff like "what you gonna do with that puny thing.?" . Wait and see" I say.

Thanks again to all. Really means a lot to this lone wolf trying to make it in this biz :beer:
And any one out there reading this thread know this one thing. These are the best group of tree people to learn from and if you have something to share, just do it. Its a great feeling to share with like minded friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Taking it to medeiros auto body this morning then off to finish a prune. Not sure if I will be leaving it there. But it is in the same neighborhood as the the steel market

Payments versus repairs.

Might be a good thing to keep as a back up chipper for use when servicing and repairing a new one. $2000 just for parts for an engine... Sounds like a down payment.

I would price parts and at least outsider- labor on paper and add it up. Tires are $300ish. Paint and prep materials adds up. Welding supplies as up. New hoses. New fluids, etc.

Seems that in business, making things last forever will Michel and some you to death. Make sure your money makers are making you money. Breakdowns are expensive when your schedule is full.

Is the chipper only 11 years old.

Back