Chainsaw lanyard

MatthewMMeckley

TreeHouser
So since I have statted climbing I have always used a wes spur bungee with snap. I recetly switched to the stein bungee and a petzl non locking biner to hold the saw. What is a setup you guys use?

Up to recently I just used an old section of climbing line, but that's a no no so I have a sort of strop that breaks under strain.
Plus two retired Krabs.

I have a hank of 3/8 nylon 3 strand ( I think 300lb breaking), cut off a short length, 2 eye splices and some 75lb WLL aluminum accessory biners. If it's a bit long I'll daisy chain it and the last loop will be tied up with some thread., kinda like a resetable shock absorber.

I have the buckingham tear away, cheap on treestuff. I'm new to this overall and I've only used the lanyard twice so far, but I like it WAY better then the 4' nylon loop runner that i was using before. I even tied a biner into the sling just up from the saw which worked better, but i much prefer then bungee sling, and the safety of the breakaway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I almost ordered that from you when I ordered my stein. I was using a DMM Locking O carabiner but didn't like having to fumble with unlocking it. So thats why i bought the non locking biner. Always love hearing back from all of you.

Buckingham bungee with tearaway, small rated accessory biner on saw end, small screwgate biner on harness end.

I was using the Buckingham tear away but would have to wrap the extra slack around my arm when I used the tree saw for occasional ground work.

Now use the TS version that Nick put a link to a few posts back. Extra length stays with saddle not with saw. Breaks at about 350 lb.

That's why I put a micro biner on the saw side Merle, so I could quickly remove the lanyard if I wanted to use the saw on the ground for a few cuts.

Not as such Sean, but the loop I hook the tail of the lanyard to on my saddle would fail if it came to that. The light gauge loops with the clear tubing are tough, but nowhere near that tough. . .

DSC04524.jpg

cheers 8)

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=3551

They look funky but you permanently have the Orange girthed to your saddle and the black ones on your saws. They can be disconnected quickly to send down for fuel or a bigger saw and can be left on there as they arent long enough to get caught in the chain for ground use.

I have been using those for a couple years and really like them. The only thing I did different was girthed the orange lanyard to a brass snap so that I could take it off if not needed. I figure if ever needed to tear away that the plastic clips would break, or maybe the brass snap. If a guy was really concerned he could only use one of the clips maybe.

seems like TS could test one for double buckle strength.

My guess is a brass hook is stronger than your body wants to feel.

Those clips are most likely very strong. Think about one on a dog's collar I know my G.S. pills hard on his. I'm with ya on the brass clips though!

You guys are probably right. I don't rely on the breakaway anyhow, and have never had a need for it thankfully...hopefully never will neither.

Back