Chainsaw Dawgs! (Falling Spikes)

Doesn't matter what sort of tree your felling...if you're felling in the woods, the stump is a very dangerous place.
Yes Father, spank me or send me to the corner. :rolleyes: Tell ya what, you do things your way and I will do them mine. Theres nobody else's ass on the line except mine and yours when the saw is running and the trees are falling. I am not in the business of training or trying to teach ANYBODY how to cut timber. My sons can do the same thing I did and my father did, when I get too old to do the cutting I will quit and they can either sell out or continue the family business. They have both watched me cut millions of feet of timber and were fortunate enough to watch their grandfather do the same thing so Im sure if they want to do it they will have a general idea of what works.

I've missed something...sorry I offended.

I wasn't spanking anyone, just including us all in the knowledge of that sure thing.

I think we are seeing the difference between a logger trained in a closed environment versus a logger trained in a broad environment. We are all a product of our upbringing/training. If you have but one teacher and no exposure to other methods then you believe your way is the best way. It must be, or else you would be doing it differently.

The benefit of being in a forum such as this is we have many teachers with many different fields of experience and education. We have several who have been formally educated by widely renowned leaders in their field. By comparing notes and methods from all around the world we can see many common threads within the various techniques. There is rarely one absolute correct answer in logging but there are many commonly accepted safe practices which have been agreed upon and accepted world wide. If your training is not in general agreement with these commonly accepted best practices then perhaps you might reconsider what you believe to be 'the best' methods.

We usually try to get away from the stump.

That is unless the ground is so steep and loose that moving could cause one to lose footing and slide down into harms way.

I put longer factory dogs on my 562. When I bought a 550 I had em put the same dog on it, had to grind on it just a bit as I recall. I only run inside dogs.

It took me a year or two to log in here in The Beginning. I still have PMs from Butch on Treebuzz saying he didn't know why it wouldn't let me register

Strange. I'm like 12 years in. I don't ever recall having an issue? I remember Sean had some trouble awhile back too? But a guy could just re-register right?

Not really offended, just got aggravated, I tried to agree to disagree, I tried to give credit to different terrain, species, weather, etc... but it seemed like it just wasn't possible for some people to see that just MAYBE things could be different from what they are used to or trained so that's why I said spank me or whatever but you aren't telling me how to do something Ive done all my life in a way that I deem more dangerous than the way I do it. I even in a round about way issued an invitation to get together and help each other and all I kept getting was a "DONT DO IT THAT WAY! TSK TSK TSK!"

I never said I stood at every stump and played ring around the roses with falling trees.

.... the safest place to be is close to the stump AS LONG AS YOU ARE LOOKING UP.
We all try to learn and evolve I think. Staying safe is the only way to make money in the long run.
You don't cut much from bedside, I know that much for sure!
You do your cuts, make sure hinge is good and hold THEN you let it go.

Hunt...get a grip. Easy, there. We can get along.

Looking up only covers a small portion of the 3 dimensions...but I am happy to agree to disagree. I've been at this a long time, too. We have both survived. I have been luckier than I ever deserved on a few occasions, and on some others active decisions I made saved my ass...and I'd bet a bundle you can say the same.

We're good.

Dawg bit me today! Dawg gone it! Managed to jab the bottommost spike on the 345XP into my knee. Nice little blood blister, hurts to kneel now!

Snow :cry: :|: that last one buried me for 3 days.

I had to call in the commercial guys to open my 700' drive.

I tried but the ice snow mix and heavy 3'-4' first drift got me good. Rest of drive was 1' to 1.5'

Nice to see the big dawg could do it.

spdaddy19.jpg

Boss plow on chevy. My little half ton is the one stuck. :lol: Then next morning the starter was frozen. Wouldnt start.
Pic is the morning it wouldnt start. But evening pic.

I keep a battery on hand changed it out in like -7F. Still no go. Finally after opened up by other truck, I tried a hair dryer on starter. Bingo ;)

The big truck dodge diesel with utility bed. 2 yrs old set up with boss 9'2" v-plow and 15" wing extensions. They are a excavating, well drilling etc crew local that plows in the winter.

Been using them since 94 when I break down etc. Been a long time since I seen them last. Bet 15 years

Back