Chainsaw climbing pant recommendations

sierratree

TreeHouser
Anyone use a pair of climbing pants, chainsaw rated? Looking for an alternative for chaps while climbing. I know the ratings are not as high as standard chaps. Currently use chaps, just wonder what other folks are using. What's your take on it,

I worked with a guy recently that was wearing a new pair of black Stihl chainsaw protective pants. He said that he really liked them, and I have to say, they were very nice looking. He's a climber. Looking on the web, there appears to be a few different types. His were kind of subdued, not covered in patches or weird colors.

I have thought about trying them in the winter and see how it goes. No leads on brands though. The European stuff looks less clunky.

I'll watch this with interest. I have some blue, pretty thick protective pants that I sometimes wear in cold weather in the tree...I think I got them from Bailey's just before I worked Katrina. I did use them at Katrina in the heat and it was awful..I don't wear them in the heat anymore.

There are times in the tree when chaps cross my mind..I have only worn chaps a few times in a tree...would love to have some protective pants that aren't super bulky or hot for in the tree. I will put on the chaps when on the ground and bucking a bunch of wood...in the trees...not often.

Thanks for starting this thread.

We don't wear no stinking chaps.

We MUST wear them here. While using a chainsaw you have to wear PPE, especially while on a tree.
Otherwise you can get a fine that you will surely remember.
I don't like the combo pants + jacket, too much heavy and impossible to wear when it starts getting warm.
I use this from Stretch Air Pfanner

0-dfa5daa4-556.jpg

and I really like it. they are quite light and very comfortable.
Using them in the heat of the sun...well, that's another pair of shoes.

We are in the process of testing several different brands to find one we like.

Stihls are VERY nice to wear, but tear to easily for the high price one pays for them. Just walking into the splintered end of a beech limb may ruin them. We have been using them for years, but last winter we got tired of the price versus durability thing and started looking for other alternatives.

Pfanner are cut nicely ( at least for my figure ( 6 feet plus, lean and muscular:lol:) but they hold sweat in almost as well as raingear. After a couple of hrs of logging on a warm day, one can literally wring water from the pocketlinings.

We just got a pair of Oregon brand from England, and Richard is testing some others.

Reports will follow.

Stretch Air Pfanner class A, front protection only, yeah they are warm but they do last a long time, we HAVE to wear protection here so the best, most comfortable trousers are a must for myself.

I love my old forest service chaps. They are the closest thing i will ever become to being a Hell's Angel and wearing my "originals".

* The biker gang member's "originals," (jeans) to be worn every day until they rot. . . . "It takes a year or two before they get ripe enough to make a man feel he has really made the grade".

"Colors" is a different thing, the Angels had this idea about their trousers never being washed. I can emulate them for about ten days, I guess.

Regarding oily chaps/ pants protectiveness, at the recent PNW ISA Annual Training Conference, a speaker talked about oily chaps fibers are lubricated and pull out easier, and provide less protection. I don't know how much real world protection varies. Interesting to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh yeah...................wow..........that's them.....................man they are pricey..............

I'm not sure what the 3600 refers too. All our trousers are rated either class 1 or class 11 - dependand whether they can stop a chain at 20m/s or 22 m/s

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i'm going to go out on a limb and treat myself to a christmas present

Back