Car Buying Question

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Hey guys, had a quick car buying question for ya. I'll be moving away to Amherst, MA around June of next year, and before I leave, I'm going to buy a new car(part of the deal with Mom, she doesn't like my current vehicle for long distance travel). I've been looking into Honda Elements, because we've had excellent luck with our current one, and I like it quite a bit.

My initial budget is $10k, but looking online, I found for an extra $5k, I could find Elements with way fewer miles. Like 100k miles for around $10k, or 50k miles for around $15k.

My question is, is it worth paying an extra $5k for that decrease in mileage? Or am I better off saving my cash and going with something with more miles?

Having just sold an Element, I think they are way overpriced for what you get. For the same price you can buy a nice late model BMW 3 series and have everybody (girls) thinking you're rich. 8)

I concur. And don't forget to look me up when you get here.

Fifteen grand....I think that you are wanting to spend way too much on a car for yourself at this point. Can't you get something decent enough to drive and reliable for a fair amount less? Save your dough, kid. Cars are tools, that's all.

Hell yah, you're young. Go cheap, no debt for a car. It'll help ya learn about wrenching too, and probably lead to some fun adventures/mishaps.

I'm having difficulty understanding what's wrong with the car you just bought 6 months ago. Was it that big of a mistake?

Tell your Mom not to worry; there's a bunch of us 'Housers up here, and not too far from Amherst. We've got your back.

Might be good for some part time work too Adrian if Erik and Mike have some work for ya. You could learn a lot from Mike and Erik if you can hook up under the right circumstances.

Yeah, and if your current car is Japanese, and might be needing parts that are obsolete, I can probably get them. Wouldn't want to have to ship you a new rear end though, it would run into some expense.

Dude yeah, $15k for a car to drive across the country to school is ludicrous to me. I paid $7400 to my Civic back in Dec 07. It's still worth $~5k and has driven all over the eastern country while getting crazy mileage.

I'd stay away from German cars for now and stick with Honda/Nissan. Parts are cheaper and most German engineers aren't of this world, plus there's plenty of forums supporting them, and there's literally millions of similar cars all over.

I can't help ya w/ car questions Adrian, but as a UMass alum I can certainly help show you how to get into.....errr I mean stay out of trouble. Best 10 years of my life out there.

Mike...ten years to graduate? I guess you were pacing yourself so as to accompany your wife through school. That is so nice....

No, 4 for the degree, a year of grad school, the next three I was hanging around out there more often than not, and the last 3 was an unfinished 2nd degree but mostly playing lacrosse.

Dude, three years ago I bought my 2004 F150 for $16k with 19k on it, that's hella over priced! Look at some other "less popular" options. I have to agree with Carl, stay away from the German cars, they can be had for a song, but buy the time you buy the special tools and overpriced parts, or have to take it to a shop a couple of times for repairs, they will eat you alive! They are fine for a second car and if you have backup funds to repair them and it's cool if they sit a while. For a broke kid in college, steer clear!
Check out the Mazda 3's, Toyota Tercel, Camry and Corolla. About any Honda other than the Ridgeline and Element. Anything Nissan, the Ford Focus, 2004 and newer. Stay away from the Chevy's in that price range and don't touch a Chrysler product with a ten foot pole!
Look at Autotrader.com, it's a good gauge to use for looking at what you can afford, look at models you like, check the prices then use the hell out of Google to search for known problems and repair costs down the line.
For $15k you can get one of these new, with a ten year 100k mile warranty! http://www.kia.com/#/rio/explore/360-views-and-colors-exterior/
Maybe not the best, but not having to work on it sure goes a long way in my book!

You won't be wanting to get a pricey car all grunged up with chainsaws and such. Not taking your gear? :what:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. My plan is to actually move up for a year to MA to become a resident and get in state tution, since it's half the cost. Something like a $14k difference. So I'll hopefully be able to find a job.

As for the car, my current one is a '92 Jeep Grand Cherrokee, with over 150k miles on it. Things have been going wrong with it the last few months, small things right now, but could be precussors to bigger things. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a new car. Also, I'll be paying for it in full, so no debt involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Btw, zip is 40517. Looking into Honda mostly. Heard some good things about Kia also. Don't want anything to do with Toyota.

Btw, zip is 40517. Looking into Honda mostly. Heard some good things about Kia also. Don't want anything to do with Toyota.

odd, in my experience Toyota is well regarded. My first car was $350. Second $2500 and third was around $5000. Your formative years in owning vehicles should also be your formative years (unless its your profession) in basic car maintenance and repair ;)

FWIW, My friend Dan sold his BMW about 8 years ago, and bought he and his wife matching Kia Rio's. They both have nearly 200k on the clock, and they're still purring along. he's done nothing outside of normal maintenance to either of them.

I'm actually looking at getting one in the spring for a cheapo commuter, myself.

You can still give good advice and be crazy. Something about blind squirrel and a nut comes too mind.:D;)

Back