Breakfast!!!

Pig cartilage? I'd give it a shot!

254zor4.jpg

I like that! Good snack to beer!

I have had hashed brown potatoes for breakfast every morning for over two years, since I started growing them. I like potatoes, and just when I think I am getting tired of them, I rekindle my love. I can hear my wife grating the potatoes when I am still in the sack. :)

Whenever we steam or boil potatoes I always make twice what we need, cut up as hashbrowns the next few days mixed with whatever I can scrounge up in the fridge. Peppers, zucchini, leftover meat, mushrooms...

I love potatoes baked in the coals ...

I keep a sack of potatoes at my shop and if i feel some hungry coming on, just wrap one in foil and tuck it in the corner of the wood stove, raised off the ashes and away from the direct heat blast. It only takes about thirty or forty minutes to cook a large potato. I might take it out of the foil and set it on a rack that I can stick in there, close down the intake and damper and give it a few minutes for some smokey flavor and crisp up the outside. It makes a great snack during the late afternoon. I dig wood heat for cooking. I smoked some cheese in my stove yesterday. A few small blocks of cherry or oak tossed on some almost dead coals, just to ignite the blocks and get them burning a bit before shutting the whole thing down, works extremely well for putting out a good dose of sweet smoke. Hard to avoid sometimes getting smoke into the room, which is little bother at the shop, in a house might require a more delicate operation. I've had folks over and cooked whole meals in the stove while sitting around it. Also a big grill on top for cooking, made out of some thick channel and tacked on. Home made stoves can be great things, setting them up the way you want.

Here is a tip.* Processed cheese makes for really good tasting stuff if you smoke it. It doesn't seem to melt so readily as regular cheese, so easier to smoke. I often have some with my eggs. Cheap as well. Excellent compliment to some drink or whatever too. People usually can't tell you are giving them processed. ;)

I do the same Paul... Baked potatoes as well... fry those suckers up for breakfast or a snack. If you are really clever with baked potatoes, you can scoop the middle out while they are cold from the refrigerator, dice that for chowder or breakfast potatoes. Save the potato skins for an afternoon snack :D

This mornings breakfast was apple pancakes and eggs :)

Went to a coffee shop this morning that has 5 egg omelettes and man bagels-- long and straight rather than typically shaped with a hole. :)

It was funny at the time... my friend who ordered a bagel, unknowingly, saw it and had the WTf look on his face upon receiving it. The server explained it as a man bagel. The cream cheese didn't help. He tore chunks off to eat it.

I keep a sack of potatoes at my shop and if i feel some hungry coming on, just wrap one in foil and tuck it in the corner of the wood stove, raised off the ashes and away from the direct heat blast. It only takes about thirty or forty minutes to cook a large potato. I might take it out of the foil and set it on a rack that I can stick in there, close down the intake and damper and give it a few minutes for some smokey flavor and crisp up the outside. It makes a great snack during the late afternoon. I dig wood heat for cooking. I smoked some cheese in my stove yesterday. A few small blocks of cherry or oak tossed on some almost dead coals, just to ignite the blocks and get them burning a bit before shutting the whole thing down, works extremely well for putting out a good dose of sweet smoke. Hard to avoid sometimes getting smoke into the room, which is little bother at the shop, in a house might require a more delicate operation. I've had folks over and cooked whole meals in the stove while sitting around it. Also a big grill on top for cooking, made out of some thick channel and tacked on. Home made stoves can be great things, setting them up the way you want.

Here is a tip.* Processed cheese makes for really good tasting stuff if you smoke it. It doesn't seem to melt so readily as regular cheese, so easier to smoke. I often have some with my eggs. Cheap as well. Excellent compliment to some drink or whatever too. People usually can't tell you are giving them processed. ;)

I'm intrigued with the cheese smoking, how do you do it exactly? In a bowl in case it melts? I have an old cookie cooling rack that I bend into a U shape that i put inside the stove so I can grill in there during the winter. All the gasses go right up the chimney...which I guess is a good thing???:lol:

Back