Black Bears Matter

Altissimus

TreeHouser
... lived in Vermont for ten years before I saw one. Over the years since in the woods , roads , and around the house have seen many more. Used to be unless in a dumpster they liked their distance and feared Humans. Now population is WAY up and causing problems. Bears IN homes , KILLED two Dogs , ZERO fear of Humans!. Knowledge of hinged and sliding door operations. Black Bear is officially a pain in the ass now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Problem partially caused by A-holes that feed them , now some solutions. Talking about Culling , unpopular idea here right now. No top predator since they killed off the Catamounts.

Sounds like a problem created by liberal lawmakers and others who decided "Don't shoot the bears!!!"
We have to deal with it here as well, I'm in the Wekiva River Basin which is the main migratory route for bears in Florida.

It's got to be the fault of liberals! goes without saying, no need to even mention it...:|:

So tell me how much of a problem bears would be getting into people's garbage if the people were allowed to shoot them? IMO there would be quite a few bear killings until the population started to drop, then the bears wouldn't be so overpopulated and would stick to the woods instead of venturing into people's back yards. Then as populations grow, more will venture out and more will get shot. Works about the same as putting down ant poison in your back yard. Only the ones who come in your yard will be killed.

Im not sure how it is elsewhere, but in CO you can kill any non endangered animal on your property at will.

Well, I guess they need to open season, liberals hunt too ya know.

Fish and Wildlife will give okay to kill after crop damage , usually Beehives or Corn. Damages have to be documented.

Way up north from where I am in Hokkaido, there is a form of grizzly, not as big as in Alaska but big enough. Civilization has encroached on their domain, and they do show up where people are more and more. The thing is, everyone knows that feeding them is a big no no, and in the national park, giving one a tasty morsel that warps their mind will get you in a lot of trouble. The result is hardly ever any conflict between humans and bears. Them tasting a Lays potato chip is the crux of the matter, no way they can eat just one. The rangers go to lengths to see that no Bear ever even sniffs a wrapper.

In New Hampshire earlier this summer , Sow AND three Cubs had been inside several homes ... Fish and Wildlife deemed them "Bad Bears" and set large baited trap. Planning to euthanize them once captured , until a bunch of well meaning do gooders went all the way to the Governor w complaints. Governer ordered the Bears be relocated way up North. STUPID , the population is plenty healthy , prob a hundred fold increase in cost to relocate , plus these Bears will display the same behaviors up North.

I've preached on this topic many times. The "Bear Lives Matter" folks in Florida, while thinking they did bears a huge favor by getting hunting seasons blocked, have caused a huge population decline in the panhandle. Instead of listening to their own biologists and allowing the taking of a few dozen bears during a short hunting season, Fish and Wildlife Commissioners bowed their knees to the anti hunting groups, knowing full well what the impact of their decision would be. Once local people understood that there would be no help from the state with a huge overpopulation of fearless bears, they began taking care of the problem themselves. It was a win, win for Commissioners who are more concerned with PR than wildlife management. They pacified the protesters and bear complaints have fallen like a rock. The anti-hunters went home to Orlando and Miami bragging about how they "saved the bears" and the huge victory they won against the evil hunters. Meanwhile back in the real world, bears are now considered vermin by most people I know.

There is a fall season here though Bear Hunting is not popular like Turkey and Deer , expanding season and or bag limits won't bring down the population enough.

plenty of bears here.....and plenty of bear hunting too. Bears are smart and are adapting to living with people. More hunting won't necessarily solve the problem. Smarter humans not leaving trash out and bird feeders up is a better solution. Probably have had over 10 bears here so far this year......some are quite bold coming into carport in daylight....no trash out. Mother and three very small cubs....kept our distance.

Kids run around our place with bear bells or dog. Recently a bear opened someones car door in north asheville, got in and door closed. Bear destroyed that car trying to get out. Game warden came and let it out. lol......hell of an insurance claim!

Bears have been ripping doors off cars in yosemite for years...

We are just bear aware here. But if bear starts mauling my dog..........

just so you don't startle a mother with cubs.....gives them a heads up your coming. Its not like alaskan brown bears that eat people .....have to pack heat for that.

there have been a coupe of black bear deaths here though...

They are getting bad around here. Not from anything people are doing, just over populating and not much hunting pressure. Gene Shalit has a house near here and he had a bear get in years ago. When the cops got they're they didn't know which was the bear, and which was Gene.:lol:

A black bear just swam the channel to Lummi Island a few months ago. It seems a whale died and the carcass washed ashore and began attracting bears from a long way off. At least two of them came for the whale blubber and stayed for the garbage. You've never seen so many scared rich liberals buy guns so fast!

Back