Basic Knee Ascender (video)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually you will see I have my line weighted with my cabling supplies. I am sure this can be done with the rope wrench. Or HH. The only advantage that the rope runner has is that it doesn't require knowledge of how to tie a hitch. Other than that its the same. I found the uni really difficult to tend in a normal tree climbing manner

Although, I'm not sure the disadvantage of low friction tending. It's how I set my rope wrench as well as how I set the HH the few times I climbed on it? Where is a situation where you want friction dragging you down. On my lanyard I would agree. I tie my hitch so it doesn't suck my up. Low friction and low sit back are usually what I strive for.

Concerning 'tending friction': My thoughts are, there should be just enough directional friction in the life support ascender (hitch or mechanical) to assure that it always arrests any unwanted descent. You once posted somewhere (paraphrased), that the RW hitch should be just snug enough that it will reliably grab to stop a fall. I agree and tend to err on the safe side; slightly too much friction is better than slightly too little.

I too, use a weighted line. I clip my 'possibles' bag to the climb line, which can be seen in a couple of my videos. It provides plenty of weight to overcome any 'directional' friction for the climb system. And, the gear in the bag is available to be hauled up if needed in the tree.

Ayuh,
weighted line, that's a big help for me.....I like your "possibles bag", hadn't thought of that. That would be really useful. :thumbup:

Although, I'm not sure the disadvantage of low friction tending. It's how I set my rope wrench as well as how I set the HH the few times I climbed on it? Where is a situation where you want friction dragging you down. On my lanyard I would agree. I tie my hitch so it doesn't suck my up. Low friction and low sit back are usually what I strive for.

The disadvantage is not with low friction, but with no friction as can happen with the Uni or ART jacks. These products when not weighted will allow the tail of your rope to just fall through. This is great when being used as a self belay on a climb where you are just climbing the tree. But when you stop at a work site, every time you move, so does the mechanical, constantly changing you hang position.

I have not seen your new Rope Runner, so I do not know if it falls into this category or not. This is one of the major failings of mechanicals compared to hitches: their inability to change with the conditions as needed.

David

Friction can be increased or decreased by the spring tension. I have two torsion springs on it right now with the idea that if one broke there would still be one to ensure engagement. I have been recently climbing with one spring disengaged because it tends a bit better. I might lower the torsion on both so I can still have two springs. I actually wish i could get it to tend better than it does at lower altitudes sometime but now I am happy to hear that this might not be super desirable. With the Runner There is the very real possibility of losing your rope as you advance up the tree, alternate lanyard style (not base tied) If you were to untie your line and let go, it could easily fall through the device and you would be up a tree without a rope.

Concerning 'tending friction': My thoughts are, there should be just enough directional friction in the life support ascender (hitch or mechanical) to assure that it always arrests any unwanted descent. You once posted somewhere (paraphrased), that the RW hitch should be just snug enough that it will reliably grab to stop a fall. I agree and tend to err on the safe side; slightly too much friction is better than slightly too little.

I too, use a weighted line. I clip my 'possibles' bag to the climb line, which can be seen in a couple of my videos. It provides plenty of weight to overcome any 'directional' friction for the climb system. And, the gear in the bag is available to be hauled up if needed in the tree.

Definitly, whatever you are climbing should catch you without thinking about it and err on the side of too much friction than too little. Finding that right balance with the springs in the rr has been a similar task

Great read...I'm devouring all these SRT threads with much more clarity now I actually possess a HH.

What I would like to see/read is a description of what you do with all the components once you are ready to work the tree, what do you leave attached, what do you disconnect.

I had a thought when I was working the other day for the first time on SRT...I learned ALL of this just by being on this site, reading your trials and errors, watching your videos...thank you for this resource!

I've gone and bought a basic, a revolver...and went to the marine store for some bungee cord and a bit of 3mm spectra for 'just in case'.
Going to set up the knee ascender in a week or two when the stuff gets here.

It really is a great set up. :thumbupold:
I'm still "tweaking" mine, it's a great way to get up the rope, especially for canopy access. :D

???:????

:dontknow:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8849 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8849 - Copy.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8850 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8850 - Copy.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 66
I fiddled around with bits and pieces the other day when it was raining, tried making a LOTS...but it din't feel right, so I went back to a loop runner around my shoulders with a little dyneema eye/eye clipped into the ends across my chest, I put a little brass clip on that and I attach it to the self tending loop on the HH.
It helps keep me a bit more upright, and I can already tell that once the basic gets here I will be flying! I have to still use a hitch/foot loop for my left hand and push it up, but the pantin, chest clip is working like a charm.

Interesting observation, I pruned a small elm on friday, and the only tie in would not have worked very well Drt because it would have flexed too far and could potentially have snapped (2-3" dia), I would have had to tie in much further down and would not have been able to access the outer canopy anywhere near as easily. Going SRT put compressive down force on the tie in and felt way more secure, I threaded the rope through two forks and the branches almost came together once I put weight on it all...but it was fine after that, redirects were a cinch, little tree got a good going over!

I'm sold.

Back