Bar oil 4.95 a gallon

If you watch it ,like the summer months you can find bar oil in around 6-7 bucks a gallon .I think I have 8 gallons but only might go through 3 the entire year .I'm not an oil snob,oil is oil .Mix oil is about the same .I have a bunch of Briggs and Stratton in small bottles enough for 2 gallons of gas at 32 to one .I'll get more when it goes on sale . As a rule Menards has the best deals .

I liked Craftsman tools. They were good quality at a good price. I didn't buy much from Sears, but I liked having them around. Almost everything they sold was "acceptable". Not exceptional stuff, but functional and well made for the price. I wonder how much of that was a product of the time, and how much was corporate philosophy? Seems like everything is crap these days. Fancy with lots of features, but has the durability of tissue paper.

HVAC-meme_air-conditioners-then-vs-now.jpg

Interesting vid and channel. Harvest King ftw.

Some farmer dude did a reasonably scientific analysis of various bar oil brands and the best performer also turned out to be the least expensive?

I'm good with it. :drink:

What I've always heard is bar oil is the dregs of an oil batch, and they use that as flush oil to prepare for another batch of "premium" oil. If that's the case, every oil will vary over time. What annoys me a bit, is the major brands purport to be premium products, but it's same crap as everyone else uses, and apparently, at least some batches are worse than discount brands. The biggest takeaway I get, is to buy based on price. You aren't getting anything extra from spending extra money.

I have run canola without issue for about 13+ years.

It's more expensive than it used to be.

Lungs are expensive. Tree workers already get lots of lung damage.

I've been trying to wear dust masks regularly for the last couple years, particularly in the drought summer, and commonly while blowing (BR800).

I mostly use canola also. If you let a saw sit for awhile though, it tacks everything up pretty bad. I bought Better Than Oil™ bio oil for my saws that don't get used as much. $20/G, but not too bad, since it isn't a primary oil.

edit:
A link to Better Than Oil...

It's interesting stuff. It's like KY for your saw :^D It's slippery without feeling oily. Seems to work well, but I can't vouch for long term use.

Last edited:
I feel like this thread is so far off the rails, it's left railroad property...

Canola? Bacon grease? Is this the Kitchen subforum? I am so lost...

Are you cooking or cutting? Are you using the saw to cook somehow? Does it taste like exhaust?

That's interesting. I'd like to hear your opinion after running that a good while. Details would cool too. How much bacon grease to oil?

Reactions: Raj
Back