The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Anyone using can-fuel for "routine production work"?

Frankie

I Build and Run Ported Saws !
In some areas of the world alkylate fuel is not marketed in any way shape or form whether for occasional use or high-volume production ... It is required ; you simply aren’t given the option of mixing your own. Some , including myself , prefer to use the Motomix , FAR better for the sawyers’ health , the chainsaw engine , and the environment! If the price of mix at $5 gal vs Motomix at $30 gal is making / breaking your operation then you might need revisit your plan ... I can get a minimum of 10face cord from a gallon of Motomix , less from a gallon of pre-mix ... So processing 10 face it costs me $3 face instead of 50-60cents a face in fuel costs ??? ... GTFODodge ... It’ll fetch 80face P/U or if you sell by bundle 200face ... That’s doing firewood ! Tree felling / work ... Cmon , how much fuel to fell and buck a 60ft 18” ash tree ? Not much - I know I can do 6 of em on a gallon (felled and bucked) using a 40cc for the tops and a 60cc or 70cc for the trunk ... Your mileage may vary

Last edited:

Magnus

TreeHouser
This with oils is a bit tricky. You can have the right text and numbers on the bottle and it looks ok when you run it.
Stihl synthetic is full synthetic. Others can have mineral base and not be up to the temps really...
Then you check plug and see its all black, muffler and outlet is full of carbon as well as piston top and some nasty goo in case.
Price often give a hint. If its good its not cheap.

lxskllr

Treehouser
I wonder about the cost. I think a lot of Stihl dealers overcharge. My last one was list price on everything. That's what got me started on the "quality alternative" project...

Carlton chain - Better than Oregon, but kinda meh
Pferd files - 90% as good as Stihl
2stroke oil - I've never been too fussy, but I prefer full synth

New dealer sells a 6pack of 5G mix bottles for $35. That's inline with other name brand oils. Might not be the absolute cheapest, but there isn't much room to save money. I buy from him cause I appreciate him being there, and it gives me a chance to visit a real saw shop. I get the big(er) bottles cause it's a little cheaper, and less wasteful of plastic. A 1qt bottle with a graduated shotglass on top would be ideal for my purposes, but alas, nobody's made such a thing. Been meaning to make a shotglass myself, but haven't gotten to it yet. I have a cheap digital scale I found in the weeds. Some crackhead must have launched it out the car window before getting pulled over. I'll weigh out the fluid for a few different measurements, then etch the marks.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
@stig Uses nothing but canned fuel, in a logging setting, everyday. Buys it by the pallet. No messing around with carb rebuilds or anything, just work.
I actually buy it by the drum.
Typically 100 gallons at a time.

Last edited:

Frankie

I Build and Run Ported Saws !
Study - Fuel costs expressed as pct of gross: $30/gal Motomix vs pump gasoline mix $5/gal ... Job : 10face of firewood from log form to split usable product ... Gross revenue $800 (10 face @ 80/face; or $2000 (assuming 200 pc / face cord) , selling bundled wood at @ $1 per piece ... Motomix 30/800 = 3.75% of gross @80/face ; 30/2000 = 1.5% of gross @200/face; Pump Gas/mix oil 5/800 =.625% of gross @80/face ; 5/2000 =.25% of gross @200/face ... The pct of fuel costs compared to the gross is peanuts as illustrated above ... Of course one must factor in the cost of bar/oil , and maintenance of saw (filter,spark plug , bar/chain , drive sprockets etc) but these remain constant regardless of fuel choice ... Most who do the necessary calculations will find that the labor is the greatest expense , certainly not the fuel! Work smarter not harder and you will achieve greater profitability

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
What do you mean, no-one's made the graduated shotglass on a mix oil bottle yet? I buy a litre of HP Ultra with the squeezy measuring bit built in...ran out the other day don't have one to take a picture of. Pour a litre of petrol into my mix bottle, squeeze 20ml into the measuring bit at the top of the oil bottle, pour and voila...

lxskllr

Treehouser
I don't think Stihl sells that here Bermy. I haven't seen it anyway. I've gotten some other brands with the squeeze and measure bottle, and I like it a lot. They're all smaller than a liter though. I forget how big they are, but it's somewhere near 20oz.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!