Anybody know a CDL driver who wants a trip??

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so there is a crane I want in CA but transporting it to VA is VERY expensive. Anybody up for a road trip??

Pay to be discussed but Im thinking $4k + expenses.

Wow, Paul stepping up, that is awesome! Good Luck with it! 30t, you can do a massive amount of tree work with that. With the jib it has very good height, is installing the jib a chore do you know?

Forwarded to a buddy of mine but I think he just went into the woods for a few days

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
FFZ, Im guessing 50-60K lbs and 45 foot long. They quoted me $14K to put it on a low boy.

Cory this is not my first choice, I really want a Terex T230 which is a 30 ton with a 4 section boom, 95' of stick and a swing out jib. I found one for $50k but the add says it needs some TLC but he hasn't responded yet to what that entails. I started out wanting to get a really cheap crane but the more I look the higher I go. I have never financed anything before so wont be able to get a loan other than a home equity loan....most T230s are 80-120K.

In 2 years I don't think I will ever be able to get a crane again as you will be required to be certified to run a crane and from what I hear they will require you to have 4 years of work experience to be able to take the test??? So what I would have to go work for a crane co. and close my tree business ?? Also in 2 years my crane op. and 1 other are retiring. This is a small town with very few options for crane co.s and those options are about to get a lot tougher. Seems to me like time to jump in with both feet....

It seems like a good move, Paul. Would you be looking to hire yourself out as a crane for other people's work? My observation is that cranes bring in a lot of dough when they are busy. Operating costs for maintenance are high, annual inspections, etc. Still, they roll over that when work is steady.

Paul, you cant fly out and drive it back...I guess you dont have a CDL, is that why? just wondering

I can tell you from first hand experience that the Scale house will want your USDOT # on that crane. Driver will need valid CDL and med card. I'd be suprised if some states didn't require special permits. In my experience they don't care if you're transporting equipment straight home or working in the states you drive through when it comes to CDL law. YOU WILL RESPECT THEIR AUTHORITY. :|:

You'll want to have a DOT inspection before it is driven cross country. Make sure the tires have minimum tread depth, and make sure you've got headphones. The link belt cranes we work with top out at 52mph. Oh yeah, make sure you have a spare tire or a few if they are odd sizes...Or you'll be camped out on the side of the interstate.

If I buy heavy equipment accross state lines again, I am pretty sure I will take a round trip flight and have it transported. The headaches can be unimaginable. Hate to be a downer, but that's what I learned.

Congratulations on buying a crane though. That is a huge step, and I would imagine you'd keep the machine busy! It will be nice to have one whenever you need it.

I would be potentially interested in driving that thing from CA to VA. Looks like about a 4 day trip (with no breakdowns). I live in Southern Vermont but I am going to be in California for a wedding this month. We are flying home 10/20.

I am an experienced driver and have held my class A CDL for nearly 6 years. Send me a PM and we can talk more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a CDL but am so busy I cannt take the time off plus I HATE traveling.

802, let me look into permits etc, plus there are 3 other cranes Im looking at. I like the one in LA as it has current certificate and DOT insp.

Ranger, the link works for me??

I will add that you might be better off just having it trucked.

To drive it across the country, of course you would need to have proper registration most likely with apportioned plates, IFTA stickers, a Federal DOT inspection on it, and proper insurance. I don't know why you would need any permits if it is under 80,000# and not oversized.

I *think* I could use my USDOT number if I was listed as an additional insured on your insurance policy for the vehicle. I am not 100% sure how it works with transporting someone else's truck.

I have passed enough of these things on the interstate to know that this would not be an easy trip to drive this thing across the country.

The permits can come from the amount of weight per square inch of tire or amount/lack of of axles. Don't think it necessarily has to be 80k. I don't know it needs special permits for a fact, but it is worth looking into.

Marquis Tree bought a new, large Liebherr, had to drive it from Newark to Mass, thru CT which has brutal regs. Marquis seems like good people, I bet if you called them they would give you plenty of beta on the ins and outs of driving a heavy crane interstate

IIRC, Marquis contracted a serivice that secures all permits, fees, info etc, so all the driver has to worry about is driving.

Back